Microwave

forest-gump

Before we set out on our maiden voyage, we are thinking we need to look into buying a microwave. We have one toddler and one small baby and feel it may be a necessity for us.

Would anybody have any recommendations.

We have found some that say their main use is camping and these are about £79.99, or Tesco or similar shops have low watt (700w) microwaves for about £30.00.

We would hate to buy a microwave that would trip the electricity when hooked up.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

the problem is that they have a higher wattage use at start up;so you need to know what this is. If you stay on a site with 10amps you will, be ok but dont use any other appliance at the same time,as you know,your battery charger will be on. You may also need to switch the fridge on to gas.

We had a spare microwave which we intended to use in the MH. We planned to store it in a cupboard under the sink. Unfortunately, it was exactly the same width as the cupboard & just wouldn't fit. Plan "B" was to swap it with the kitchen one which is narrower. This one was too high!

After this we decided to check sizes & found a smaller low wattage one (700watt IIRC) at Argos for about £24.

Works fine & never had any trouble using it on sites.

Most sites in the UK are 16 amp anyway so you shouldn't have any problems in the UK at least.

I fitted a microwave into the wardrobe of our Rapido - works quite successfully but be careful what else is drawing current when on EHU. But why do they weigh so much? Ours is 11kgs. Doesn't anyone make a lightweight Microwave (it would help with the payload)?

sirhandel - 2009-08-31 3:32 PM

But why do they weigh so much? Ours is 11kgs. Doesn't anyone make a lightweight Microwave (it would help with the payload)?

There is I believe a microwave sold for motorhomes, how much it weighs I'm not sure, but price wise they are £70+ which for me doesn't make financial sense. It would be interesting to know how much the microwaves weigh that some as standard in some motorhomes - I bet not alot of difference.

Archived