autocruise and gaslow

Champstar

Thanks for your help...I have an 11kg bottle and wondered if anyone knew if the damn thing will fit into a starburst gas locker.....somone told me it should...but would like to hear anyones opinion. I dont know the size of the locker but have been told 2 x 6kg propane bottles.

MMM's May 2006 Starburst test quoted 2 x 6/7kg cylinders.

The gas-locker internal dimensions were given as 590mm(W) x 634mm(H) x 270mm(D). The gas-locker door aperture dimensions were given as 430mm(W) x 495mm(H).

If the above dimensional data are exact and all 11kg Gaslow cylinders have a diameter of 304mm (I've not got a current Gaslow brochure), then a 11kg Gaslow cylinder would NOT fit, as the Starburst's locker-depth (270mm) would be too shallow.

The Starburst's gas-locker and door are clearly designed to accommodate a pair of Calor 6/7kg cylinders, each having a height of 495mm and a diameter of 256mm. Consequently, it may need major surgery to allow a significantly larger gas cylinder to be used instead.

A saving grace (at least as far as the Starburst on test was concerned) was that air and water heating was via diesel fuel, so gas usage would have been confined to cooking and even one small cylinder would have lasted a long time.

Thanks Derek..a gold mine of info...

Looks like if I decide to go for the van then I have a nearly full 11kg gaslow and would need to get rid and then get a 6kg bottle or bottles.

Yes the heating and water are done by diesel so maybe will reduce the gas usage..but now the cost of diesel is rising!!!!

Anyone want a swap 11kg gaslow

An interesting design, though the MMM photos suggest that, due to the long wheelbase Al-Ko chassis and 15" wheels, you'd have to be careful regarding ground clearance between front and rear axles. The turning circle is also large for a relatively short motorhome (wheelbase-related again). I note that the Starburst MMM tested had no airbags or ABS, and that neither was an option - odd that for a 2006 vehicle.

Archived