Bessacarr E769

Blizzard

Hello All,

After deliberating for over 2 years, my wife and I (and 2 kids) have eventually decided to get rid of our 4x4 and twin axle caravan, securing a good deal against a 5 month old E769.

Deposit was paid yesterday and we are hoping to have it home early next week.

We are fairly experienced caravanners and got used to the space provided by our van and awning, which is why we decided to opt for a sizeable MH. We also have a Toyota Aygo as a runaround and have the option of towing at a later date if neccessary (albeit at the cost of a towbar).

We are brand new to motorhoming and although both our parents have/had MH's, we can't wait to start learning about our new hobby and we will probably have loads of 'newbie' questions for you - so please be gentle until we find our feet.... :-D

On occasions we use fully serviced pitches and our first 2Q's are:-

1) Can a MH be connected, in a similar fashion to a caravan, ie. with a fresh water 'Aquasource' hose or similar, or would you just fill the onboard tank with the hose.

2) Can the waste be run direct to the pitch drain via external pipework, or does it have to go via the waste holding tank.

Both questions will probably be answered when we collect the MH and instruction manuals, but it's always good to get a head start.

Thanks.

Blizzard - 2009-09-01 7:15 PM

On occasions we use fully serviced pitches and our first 2Q's are:-

1) Can a MH be connected, in a similar fashion to a caravan, ie. with a fresh water 'Aquasource' hose or similar, or would you just fill the onboard tank with the hose.

2) Can the waste be run direct to the pitch drain via external pipework, or does it have to go via the waste holding tank.

1) A few motorhomes have an 'Aquasource type' water input connection. Most (including Bessacarr models) do not and, in such cases, normal practice would be to fill the vehicle's onboard tank with a hose-pipe, refilling it when necessary. I have known motorcaravanners who feed their motorhome's water tank from an external container (eg. an Aquaroll) via a 12V submerged water-pump. This ploy may prove useful when there's no water supply convenient to the pitch or the motorhome's tank is very small.

2) Presumably you are talking about waste (ie. 'grey') water, not toilet waste? Large motorhomes will have a sink, wash-basin and shower, each with its own pipework connecting to the vehicle's waste-water tank. In principle, it would be possible to leave the waste-water tank's drain outlet open with an extension pipe leading from the outlet to a pitch drain. Waste-water entering the tank would then transfer continuously to the pitch drain. In practice, the design/position of the waste-water tank's outlet may well complicate or even prevent this method of disposal.

I'm doubtful that you'll find answers to this type of question in motorhome instruction manuals, and I suspect that motorhome dealerships may not be in a position to advise unless they also sell caravans.

For general background, I'm sure you'd find "The Motorcaravan Manual" and "Go Motorhoming-Europe" books a valuable source of information. Both are available from

http://www.vicarious-shop.co.uk/

though there plenty of alternative suppliers.

The issue is more like is the camp site able to accommodate the pipework? Not on any UK site where I have stayed.

This summer in Germany there was a site where each pitched was serviced by a water pipe and drain. Boy, was it expensive for the overnight fees. We moved on down the road and found a cheaper site.

Unlike a caravan, I am sure you will find it is no big deal to move a motorhome to the site service area and refill/discharge accordingly.

Enjoy the new motorhome.

Cannot answer Q1. However, I have the swift Kontiki and when I am on a site that provides a grey waste on the pitch, I have a flexible extension pipe that fits over the outlet pipe on the van and the other end feeds into the waste pipe on the pitch (providing the extension pipe is long enough to reach from the van outlet to the drain, not always the case). Then simply open the waste drain tap and hey presto the majority of the waste goes via the onboard waste tank to the waste drain. Before disconnecting always ensure that you lift the extension pipe and empty any waste water that may still be lingerin in the hose. Then turn off the waste outlight tap, disconnect from drain and then from van.

Where there are no on pitch facilities the site usually provides a Motorhome service area. You can fill up with fresh water and empty grey waste in appropiate easy access points. Most on site Shower/Toilet Blocks provide Chemical Waste disposal points or an area for such.

Also worth noting that in France & Spain (not sure about anywhere else), a lot of the motorway service stations now have dedicated areas for Motorhomes to empty grey waste, chemical waste and fill water tanks. Those that do provide this facility usually show a sign with a Motorhome over a drainage point well in advance. Be advised that most water points of this nature in Spain do not provide fresh drinking water but it is okay for washing/showering and doing the dishes. Remember to keep a bottle of drinking water in the bathroom as a reminder when doing your teeth (lol)

I have just returned from Spain and using Milton steralising Fluid have just given my fresh water tank a good clean out. Then a good flush through with clean water and now I can re-use my fresh water tank for drinking water again.

Archived