Free weighbridge location

Mel B

Just thought I'd mention this whilst I remember!

There's a free weighbridge located on the north side of the Humber Bridge (Hull side) - as you leave the roundabout leading to the approach road for the bridge, on the left about 50ft along you will see a cabin and on the road there's the large 'plate' which is the weighbridge itself.

When we last crossed the bridge we asked the toll booth chap about using it, this is what he told us.

1) Drive to the weighbridge but don't go onto it.

2) Standing at the left side of the cabin is a metal cabinet - you have to press a button on it to 'wake up' the computer which takes a minute or two.

3) Once the computer is working you drive slowly over the weightbridge and it will then tell you the weight of each axle.

As far as I know you don't get a printout but it does give you the info you need, you then just add the axle weights together to get your overall total weight.

We'll be trying it out when we go to the Lincoln show later in the month as that's the next time we'll be fully loaded. :-D

After a previous post we have called twice and it was not working each time we called. we were told it was for only when they were stopping lorries for checking overweight the side road is only open when cabin is occupied.

let us know how you go on

Alf

Just be aware that this is a VOSA weigh bridge and if you are found to be overweight there you will have to lose the weight and will more than likely be prosecuted. They have the power to impose on the spot fines, points on your licence and in an extreme case impound your vehicle.

Even if someone is not staffing the booth there could be INPR cameras linked to the weighbridge and they can stop you up the road and deal with you there. They also have these at some toll booths and roads where there is a weight limit. The height of a motorhome could be the trigger for the computer to take a reading and photo.

The days of just explaining you didn't mean it and being let off with a finger wagging have long gone! It is better to go to a public weighbridge, or friendly scrappy, near where you live before setting out then if you do have a weight issue you can do something about it at home.

VOSA also have a list of other offences they can check for, lights, running order, brakes and driving licence entitlement are some of the things they look at too.

It will also be your responsibility to remove from the site any of your stuff they take off you to get you back under the legal weight. It could prove to be an expensive mistake and really mess up your day!

alf - 2009-09-03 9:13 PM

After a previous post we have called twice and it was not working each time we called. we were told it was for only when they were stopping lorries for checking overweight the side road is only open when cabin is occupied.

let us know how you go on

Alf

There was no barrier, or anything there to block the weighbridge at all, when we were there in August, in fact we actually drove over the weighbridge as we tried to see how to use it. The chap at the toll both said we just could use it when we wanted - there isn't usually anyone there anyway.

As for getting 'caught' being overweight, I'd much rather find out myself at the weighbridge and then jettison some water if needs be to bring it to the legal level - better than getting pulled over - not that I think we are anywhere near the limit for our van anyway, I just want to know how much spare capacity we have for when we 'acquire' things on holiday ... such as car booty and wine!

Mel, sadly if there is someone at the weighbridge and you are overweight then just dropping some water won't unfortunately be the end of it! VOSA is now a self funding agency and one of the ways they "self fund" is from roadside fines.

It is dealt with in exactly the same if you do get pulled over during your journey, and VOSA have a legal right to do that too, they just pull in front of you in a marked vehicle and the light message in the rear window tells you to follow them, usually to a service area or the next junction if you are on the motorway. If you are near a weighbridge then you go there, and then the fun bit starts!

I did a training session on it at a firm I was driving for and believe me they have quite some legal powers and will use them. It is the one sight you don't want to see when you are driving "legal" never mind when you might be in the wrong.

I for one would 'take the chance' to find out the weight of my van (hopefully I should be under the limit as I have a good payload) What does concern me sometimes is how my weight is for each axle. I could well be under my overall MGW but be over on one of the axles. Having a garage on my van there is the tendency to just shove everything in there.

More importantly if you are overweight & involved in a serious accident your insurance could be invalid, if I can get my weight checked for free I would do it as I don't see any downside.

fjmike - 2009-09-03 8:55 PM

Terrific post Mel. Anyone know of similar for us southern softies :-D

A27 Lancing immediately north of Shoreham Airport south side of dual carriageway approach from east, if coming from west do a U turn at traffic lights by airport entrance.

Great for me 2 miles from home, don't be tempted with a short cut through the airport to the coast road low bridge 7'.

Mel

As you drive over the weighbridge if you look to your left there is a road going back to the roundabout this has barriers on it they are only open when VOSA are operating the weigh this is to remove anyone over weight or those not going over the bridge.

I walked all around cabin and tried button but it was turned off when I enquired I was told it only worked when VOSa were doing spot checks.

I would use in passing but prefer a printout or weigh ticket for referance anyway

Alf

Archived