crank up satellite systems

gadjo

Hi All

We have just returned from a fantastic two week tour of Spain and France, ah the memories!!

While away we saw lots of vans, mainly foreign, with those big crank up sat dishes and she who must be obeyed announced that we should have one of those.

I know nothing about them but know a few people who would!!!

So what I need to know please is:

a. the best system

b. what do I need

c. where can I get one fitted

The vans an 08 Autotrail Cheyenne and already has the standard TV/sat system fitted.

Cheers

Think carefully before buying a crank-up. You can't use a large dish in wind and unless it's completely automatic you can spend half an hour trying to locate a signal only to find that there wasn't one to start with.

I swapped this year to a Camos dome and have never regretted it. It's only a 40cm so reception is more limited but you can use it in any weather. Like many things in life it's a compromise. It has a smaller footprint than a larger dish but you can use it all the time and if there isn't a signal you know within minutes and aren't messsing around.

I suppose the clincher for you is where you'll want to use it the most. If your entire motorhoming is in southern Spain then a dome may not be for you.

Although you may not be able to get Astra 2 in some distant lands, if you have the right digi-box you can select another satellite and get Sky News, BBC News etc.

As for fitting it depends where you live. There are many suppliers and fitters all over the country.

I had a Camos Plus crank up system installed and I am delighted with it. There is a thread on here somewhere about a member who fitted one recently. Try Search on Camos.

I find picking up sat signal is easy provided 28degrees east of south is not obscured by tress/buildings etc

Maxview do a crank up system as well. Only reason we went for Camos was dealer recommendation.

Arthur

Maxview for me but use a good quality electric compass so you can put it directly under the crank-up dial and line it up in 10 seconds. Dont recommend Sky box tho. cos. dont use all transponders and have a delay in reading signals. Use Echostar Fortec Techonomate or any other. Pre-loaded with 128 sats and much better than sky.

dikyenfo - 2009-09-05 12:13 PM

Maxview for me but use a good quality electric compass so you can put it directly under the crank-up dial and line it up in 10 seconds. Dont recommend Sky box tho. cos. dont use all transponders and have a delay in reading signals. Use Echostar Fortec Techonomate or any other. Pre-loaded with 128 sats and much better than sky.

I am interested in the Electric compass as I have a problem with needle deflexion due to the metal in the van when attempting to line up the Maxview. Can you give advise if it would be an inprovement.

Can you get BBC/ ITV/ Channell 4/ And 5 on your Digi Box?

I take my compass outside to get a rough idea of my starting position; then it takes all of 30 seconds to get a signal with my Maxview.

I read about these crankups years ago and thought (knowing me) that I would never get a signal because it seemed too complicated. In practice the opposite applies but I must say that it is difficult if you use a Skybox because of the inbuilt delay. If you use a free to air box with an audible satellite finder such as those in Maplin finding a signal is easy and quicker than the automatic expensive Camos and Oyster systems.

We bought a Camos plus crank up and was amazed to find how quickly we obtained a signal. Even more surprising is that the satellite reciever is the one we bought at Lidl for £30 and using the on screen display helped to fine tune the signal further. The very high winds over the past couple of days didn't prove to be a problem either. Well worth getting.

Sorry about the delay replying but get a good quality compass that you can place on the roof inside the van and it really is easy. I use Echostar or technomat or Fortec Star all of which have 128 satellites pre-loaded . this means that you can access any satellite you want and astra 1 Hotbird Hispasat as well as Astra 2 all have English channels on them. Furthermore when you do an FTA search set to look for all Transponders and all networks and really get some choice. Also you can subscribe to other cards than Sky and get much more for your money. The instruction books with these units are v. good and if you load up a hard drive and plug into the USB port you can obtain all the reverse play repeat and pause that Sky boxes do. Also if you buy separately the HD then you can format 2 Tb if you want to in FAT 32.

For those users who know little or nothing about satellite TV would you be able to translate your latest post into something they could understand please?

For example I'm sure there are many users who will not know what Echostar or Technomate are (plus the exact model would be a help ;-) ). Likewise I'm certain that many users won't understand your reference to FAT 32 and format.

D.

In edit: also how do you use a compass on the roof inside?

Precisely Dave, if you use a needle compas on the roof inside it would have to be upside down and the needle would then not pivot on its mount.

The only one you could really use inside is a fluxgate compass (electronic) which can electronically cancel out any magnetic interference. Don't know of a currently available handheld one though.

peter - 2009-09-06 8:38 PM

Precisely Dave, if you use a needle compas on the roof inside it would have to be upside down and the needle would then not pivot on its mount.

The only one you could really use inside is a fluxgate compass (electronic) which can electronically cancel out any magnetic interference. Don't know of a currently available handheld one though.

THe Fluxgate Compass that I can see on the net seem to strart around £260 thats a bit rich for me any one know of a more suitable model that will stick on the roof?

Forgive me chaps as I am not being awkward. But the responses on here are very similar to those that stopped me from buying a satellite dish for a couple of years. I thought it was all too complicated and I would never be able to watch the TV. But it is in reality all very simple and not at all complicated.

My advice is get your dish fitted and do not be swayed by complications such as electronic compasses and the like.

I admit I have also complicated the discussion by mentioning free to air boxes but at the end of the day getting satellite Tv in your van is not rocket science. Get a dish is my advice and see how easy the whole process is.

Sorry if any offence is caused. I'm just trying to be helpful.

I went to my local caravan shop and brought a Maxview omnisat Kit in a bag it cost me £179 with my caravan club discount there was everything that you need except the freeview box so I took my Sky plus box from home "Why not I am paying my subcription for it"

I went to south west France for four months and it was great I am not very good at sorting things like that out but I read the instructions and looked at the maps that they put in and wo and behold I got my full Sky programs I was watching the same programs that I had at home (yes bloody repeats and all)

Mind you I did cheat sometimes I turned the TV towards the van window and then turned the dish but it worked you can watch the signal lines untill you get a full signal I lost the signal at times due to the wind ( it must have been thoes French beans terrible things they are) and was worried that I would not get it back but I always did so give it a try I got great reception and all for £179

Sky box will only work on mains, which is why I decided not to go down that route, although it is possible to have it alongside another receiver box with the double "thingy" on the dish. I decided on the 12V camos dome with a Zehnder box which has the facility to change satellites in seconds. When it is found it locks on and a light says it has. Works for me.

Roy Fuller

You can get a 12" PACE box that receives SKY from ASTRA 2 12 Volts. It takes a SKY Pay per View card or a Freeview card. I don't think it will receive "FREESAT" though.

You can get the normal sized SKY boxes too that have been modified with a small inverter already in them so they will work from 12 Volts. I think any motorhome satellite dealers can get them.

Tomo3090 - 2009-09-09 12:19 PM

You can get a 12" PACE box that receives SKY from ASTRA 2 12 Volts. It takes a SKY Pay per View card or a Freeview card. I don't think it will receive "FREESAT" though.

Freesat is just an EPG. All the channels are available with any generic FTA or Sky box.

Yes it was only on mains but i have now found out from Tomo 3090 post that you can get a sky box that has been converted to 12v.

on the other hand you can go the same way as Porky and get a camos dome then possibly you will have to shell out about £2,000 my way it only costs £179 plus getting a Sky box that has been converted.

And the size of my sky dish is big enough to get you signals down in to Spain and it may still not get you past £300

I have recently sold my beloved bailey bretagne caravan and in the process of purchasing a new life motorhome and am quite excited when i can go and collect it but anyway we have a maxview on a tri-pod and to start with blew our heads off and pulled our hair out we got a digital compass but despite this had a few bad experiences including sitting on top of my caravan with the dish myself in the south of france but whilst on a site a elderly man who obviously new what he was doing explained that just 10mm movement can lose signal so very slight movements and a squeaking (i hate that noise but brings delight at the same time)PATIENCE IS REQUIRED

as long as you remember that you'll be fine in the end

my husband wants to get a maxiview to go on the roof of the new motorhome but will somehow have a sat finder(squeaker) in the cupboard

we always take sky +box from home too

would suggest you remember all of the following whatever dish you purchase and GOOD LUCK

maxiview dish, sky box from home, cables to connect, remote controller, compass and sat finder >:-)

ldenise286 - 2009-09-13 9:12 PM

I have recently sold my beloved bailey bretagne caravan and in the process of purchasing a new life motorhome and am quite excited when i can go and collect it but anyway we have a maxview on a tri-pod and to start with blew our heads off and pulled our hair out we got a digital compass but despite this had a few bad experiences including sitting on top of my caravan with the dish myself in the south of france but whilst on a site a elderly man who obviously new what he was doing explained that just 10mm movement can lose signal so very slight movements and a squeaking (i hate that noise but brings delight at the same time)PATIENCE IS REQUIRED

as long as you remember that you'll be fine in the end

my husband wants to get a maxiview to go on the roof of the new motorhome but will somehow have a sat finder(squeaker) in the cupboard

we always take sky +box from home too

would suggest you remember all of the following whatever dish you purchase and GOOD LUCK

maxiview dish, sky box from home, cables to connect, remote controller, compass and sat finder >:-)

Got all that and I still can't find Astra 2

Hi 4petedaniel did you buy the maxiview Omnisat in a bag with all the bits in, there are two instruction leaflets one for setting up the dish for the angle (up and down) and there are markings (numbers) on the bracket at the back of the dish but make sure that your dish is level.

On one leaflet there are graph lines with numbers on to corespond to different parts of the country or continent (to set up the up and down)and the other leaflet tells you how to assemble the dish/stand etc.

on one leaflet it tells you which way to face with your dish but dont count on getting a picture unless you are lucky it will still need very slight movements either way of your compas reading but do it very slow and you patience will be rewarded.

I know nothing about satellite assembly but with a little time reading and working through the instructions it was worth it to see the look on my other arf`s face when she could watch emerdale.

One more thing it cost £199 but when I used my caravan club card I got 10% off from my local caravan shop so make sure you get your discount.

Hope this helps Mike.

:-) :-)

Archived