Stuttgart Beer Festival

doonhamer

Because he has his beer glasses on!

I have stayed on the Camping platz in Bad Cannstatt next to the festival ground many many times. 5 I think it is for a week at a time in the summer.

It can get very busy when there are large events taking place both with workmen and tourists/visitors so expect it to be crowded. It is very friendly though, and not too an unattractive site for a city campsite. Better than many. It is kept clean, and the facilities have recently been refurbished and there is a fairly new shower block which is always clean and never a problem to get a shower or washing facilities. Cost - not particularly cheap as it is not a very pretty sight as is all hard standing with this blocks with grass holes in them but worth it for a few nights.

For some strange reason they weed all teh grass out between the blocks, but there are small grass areas around, and shrubs, as well as trees, some seats about and a play park for kids. It is not an unattractive site, just mot a pretty site and is actually quite large overall and you chose your own spot. Plenty of electrical points but are metered.

Worken tend to stay in middle to the north end of site as wel as along far side to te east. The South end tends to be where a lot of people go who are overnighting and is mostly tourists. I prefer it in the middle of the site, but I expect space wil be limited when the festival is on.

To be honest you do not have much choice if you want to crawl home on your knees, but as it is half way up the river side ( you cannot see the river from site) of the festival platz you get get a better place to be.

It is very easy to get transport into and around Stuttgart, but you will have to walk a distance to get a tram, bus or Sbahn. I shall say a kilometers walk min, and maybe 1.5 km if going to station...but bext way is take the path up the side of the Neckar river to Mercedes Strasse (on the Bridge) and get the tram. When festivals are on the tram also runs to station on other side of festival ground from camping which is not too far to walk.

While in Stuttgart you really must see the city. The tourist information office is opposite the main station and can give you loads of information.

Stuttgart has loads to offer and we have been going for 6 years now, prevoiusly I had lots of bussiness trips to Stuttgart and we still find new and interesting places to go. You can get a 3 day pass on the Stuttgart transport system for 10 euro or so (avail at campsite) and for about 11 or 12 Euro ( at Tourist office) covers the whole of the Stuttgart region...much better value. Ludwigsburg in te North is worth a visit, take a stroll through Favorite park, or you can go up a wooden vanicular railway to the, dare I say it, the cemetary. Ther s teh Zoo, many many parks, museums and galleries. There is of course also lots of beer gardens not to mention the beer festival.

The beer festival is amazing, the germans work hard, but they also play hard when given teh chance and the atmosphere at te festivals is marvelous, only spoilt by the odd British tourist who has drunck too much and thinks everyone he sees is his pal and you want to converse with him. But overall people are not over the top with drink, having a great time and enjoying the atmosphere and everything going on. Not to be missed along with hearing all the great brass bands and german beer songs..wonderful.

The Mercedes museum is a must while there, you can walk to it from the campsite, long walk but worth it. Ther is also a Porsche museum but I was not bothered about going in, but was impressed by the modern building.

Something else worth doing is to go to the exhibition in the main station about the project to modrnise te rail station and rail links. It is incredibly interesting and the project is amazing. It is in the main tower of the station to the right as you walk in the front.

Ther are alao vinyards and wine producers along the Neckar you can visit.

I could go on for pages, you name it you can do it in Stuttgart or in the region around. Fascinating city and they really have made the city one people can live in and enjoy.

Sorry I am going to stop here, I am waffling on and it is late and I am getting sleepy --- too sleepy to check this over, condense and check grammer etc, so will post as is, as may be of some help to you.

If you have any specific questions then ask, I can probably answer as I know the area so well.

Jon.

Archived