Packing the van

misty

Is it realy true .as some people say .we throw a few things in the van and off we go.if true .why dose it take us hours.we never get off on time.when we do finally get off we say next time we WILL be better organized but we never are.is it only us.???

Day before, load clothes, food and bedding. Plug in the van to get the fridge and freezer cold.

Day of leaving, load wash stuff, hairdryer and make up after dressing etc. Load stuff into the vans' fridge and freezer. Tidy up the house so it's clean for burgulars! Fill water tank to 25%, un hook cable and drive off.

Total time of getting ready about 12 hours ish, time in hours taken to get the van ready probably about 2 hours tops.

Yes, possibly, and no.

Yes, when I go with one of my twenty something year old sons. They have a "do without what we haven't packed" attitude - they pack almost nothing. Takes about half an hour to be ready.

Possibly, when I go on my own because at least I take my wallet and a few other things. The wallet is useful fot those things I forget. Allow two hours for me.

No, when my missus comes because she is ever so thoughtful. She will pack everything we need, everything we might need, and most of what we will definitely not need. Allow at least 4 hours and possibly 3 days. It's not so much that she takes the kitchen sink, she takes a selection of kitchen sinks - just in case we don't like one.

misty - 2009-09-05 9:23 PM

Is it realy true .as some people say .we throw a few things in the van and off we go.if true .why dose it take us hours.we never get off on time.when we do finally get off we say next time we WILL be better organized but we never are.is it only us.???

Hi Misty, no you are certainly not alone. We try and leave as much in the M'home as we can, and still seem to spend ages getting ready to leave.

Van has all the basic things of its own pots pans/ cups/ plates /tea towels/ towels / bed is already made up always change it when we get back from our travels so ready to go, the tinned food is left in the van so night before we leave put fridge on then in morning get carrier bags put all food we want to take out of fridge/freezer in into them so only one journey to load that up. Then clothes and shoes (we are trying to cut down).

BQ chairs etc kept in van so from getting up to getting off about a hour and half as we like to get off handy as no point in hanging around when the open road calls. Call at Asda as we pass for fresh bread salad etc sorted. Carol.

Always leave a few pairs of undies, socks, walking trousers, cycling shorts etc. in the van. Washroom always left with everything required.

Takes about an hour to load other clothes & items I need & put bikes on, load food fill with water.

Then sit back & relax for 2/3 hours while wife tries to decide which clothes to take with her, she then gives up & puts the lot in then we have to go via the weighbridge.

Brock - 2009-09-06 12:25 AMYes, possibly, and no.Yes, when I go with one of my twenty something year old sons. They have a "do without what we haven't packed" attitude - they pack almost nothing. Takes about half an hour to be ready. Possibly, when I go on my own because at least I take my wallet and a few other things. The wallet is useful fot those things I forget. Allow two hours for me. No, when my missus comes because she is ever so thoughtful. She will pack everything we need, everything we might need, and most of what we will definitely not need. Allow at least 4 hours and possibly 3 days. It's not so much that she takes the kitchen sink, she takes a selection of kitchen sinks - just in case we don't like one.

PMSL; I am a bit like this, especially in the case of clothes!  Most 'stuff' is kept in the van ie I have a 2nd hairbrush, hairdrier and toiletries, etc and the bed is changed and made up again as soon as we return.  I always keep spare pillowcases and sheet in there as well as I can't stand grubby sheets. 

Once again it's the changeable weather to blame, if we knew what the weather was going to be we would only need the clothes to suit instead of warm, wet, cold and all permutations garb! lol

We just put the fridge on the day before, clothes, food and doggie stuff in on the morning, and off.

If on a planned outing I do like to make and freeze some easy meals to take such as lasagne, cottage pie, pasta bake etc.

Archived