Legal or not ?

Blizzard

My, how times change. I was one of six kids, and our dad had an Austin A35 "estate" (ie van with rear seat & windows). Baby on mum's knee, three in rear seat, two in luggage area behind, from Stockport to North Wales for the hols!

More recently, with a coachbuilt Glendale in the 80s, our (then!) little daughter often used the loo on the move. I just slowed down until she'd finished. Wouldn't dream of it now though (even if we still had someone that young!). Roads have become more dangerous, and speeds much higher.

As to the legalities, we seem to keep coming under different categories for different bits of law and regulation.

Dartford crossing says "car," M6 Toll says "truck," property covenants (and some councils who don't like us) say "caravan," road tax and driving licence rules say all sorts of things ... etc, etc. And seatbelt law seems just as confusing.

Wouldn't it be nice if the law said quite clearly whether our vehicles are cars, vans, trucks, buses, caravans or whatever, and everyone had to treat us the same way?

But in this, as in everything else, if the law was clear we wouldn't need lawyers, and it's lawyers who draft laws. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

Surely we're all adults here. I agree that you should wear your seatbelt at all times.... BUT!

If Ann needs the loo and we are driving along and can't stop then when we get to a straight bit she walks the 5 paces to it and uses it, if it's safe to do so. She has also got a drink out of the fridge and even lay down on the bed when she was unwell. We both survived and are still around. Yes of course there could have been a tragedy, and yes the insurance and law would have had a say.

But are you trying to tell me that you never take a risk and do something that could backfire? You've never drove over the speed limit because you were late or were needing the loo? Never removed your seatbelt to take off your coat whilst moving? Never glanced down from the road to change a tape/CD or change the radio channel. Never ran carrying sissors?

Of course we've all done it and in virtually every case we've lived to tell the tale.

I wouldn't advocate doing it on a twisty mountain road or what ever but just use your own intellingence and decide at the time. Surely you don't need to ask for anyones' guidance on this!

Ooo, that reminds me, when we got bad sunburn 2 years ago in the southern part of France, I had to drive us up (painfully!) back to Dover, over a 4 day period. As hubby was burned more badly than me (crispy!) there was no way he could sit in the front passenger seat or in one of the dinette seats so he was propped up on the dinette bed most of the time whilst we travelled back up. Needs must ...

As regards whether you're likely to get 'caught' by doing 'naughties' like moving around in a moving motorhome etc, ask yourself, how many people do you still see using mobile phones quite blatantly ... :-S

Guest Tracker

How else do you find and cure rattles and squeaks without moving about in the back of a moving van?

We will continue to use our own common sense and move about in the van and use the loo as and when required as we have done for the last 35 years and if it is illegal maybe a nice policeman will stop us and advise accordingly?

However as a gesture towards safety we have discontinued the habit of changing drivers at 65 mph on the motorway to allow us both to use the loo without stopping!

Tracker, changing drivers at 65? How disgraceful! You are putting others at risk with your reckless behaviour.

What you should do is set the cruise control at a steady 60MPH, get in the middle lane, then when you are on a straight bit use a bungee fastner round the wheel and door handle recess to secure the wheel in place, you are now free to leave your seat without the possibility of you slipping and grabbing the wheel, thus causing your vehicle to swerve violently! If you have a speed warning device on your vehicle set that for 65 then you will know if you are going down hill and can return to your driving position ASAP.

See, thinking first prevents accidents!

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME CHILDREN WITHOUT ADULT SUPEVISION! >:-)

This thread has just reminded me of an incendent a few weeks back.

Old Talbot drives into carpark, goes the wrong way around one way layout, attempts to reverse into my car until I hooted them, this was dispite the approx 12 empty spaces next to me, I then notice the (only)passenger sitting in a side facing seat in back, later when I was filling up at petrol station, saw them driving down road still with passenger on side facing seat.

I believe the saying is "Nowt as strange as folk"

colin - 2009-09-11 7:13 PM

This thread has just reminded me of an incendent a few weeks back.

Old Talbot drives into carpark, goes the wrong way around one way layout, attempts to reverse into my car until I hooted them, this was dispite the approx 12 empty spaces next to me, I then notice the (only)passenger sitting in a side facing seat in back, later when I was filling up at petrol station, saw them driving down road still with passenger on side facing seat.

I believe the saying is "Nowt as strange as folk"

sound like the passenger had right idea, probably can't stand to see what's happening out front and would rather travel in blissful ignorance,

Still can't beat the old jokes - " I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandad did,

not screaming in panic like his passengers"

:D

Archived