Exhaust pipe

josie gibblebucket

Just back from a tour of Scotland, seems as though our exhaust started blowing and gradually got louder. I realise this is just normal wear as with any other vehicle, but my question is - can I just get a new exhaust from a normal outlet eg kwikfit or similar, or is my husband correct in thinking that the exhaust will not be standard because of the various tanks and things under the floor? We have Holdsworth Minuet which is a panel van conversion on a Peugeot Boxer.

Odds are it will be standard exhaust pipe......as this was fitted when the van/chassis was assembled, (ie prior to the motorhome conversion being made).

Take the MH to (eg) Quickfit and ask them.

If you've not already had a crawl around under your MH to see where the problem is, they can put the vehicle up on their hoist, and see where the existing system is blowing. It might just be a joint gone, or a section of pipe that they can cut out and replace.

But even if it isn't a bog-standard exhaust, some of the better Tyre and Exhaust service centres have lengths of standard pipe, and bending machines so that they can make up almost any type of bore/angle/length.

It might cost you a few quid in the back pocket of the fitter, but generally they can make up whatever is needed.

If you talk cash-in-hand to the fitter, there's generally no limit to what they can make for you.......just ensure you talk to the actual fitter and not the reception desk, as you don't want a proper VAT invoice and the additional costs that go with that. (Ahem....;-)

Hi Josie,

We had a auto sleeper harmony on a Talbot Express, got our new exhaust from a normal exhaust place, did have to wait whilst it was delivered, It's normally coach built and a class vans that are slightly different, in so much as they may need an extension piece to clear the body work.

There a few places, one in Bristol I think, that can make an exhaust in stainless steel to any pattern and this will still be cheaper than a main dealer.

Pete

Archived