Battery maintenance

libby

libby

Providing that the battery was correctly topped-up before and you are not simply looking at a poorly maintained model, then yes, it would seem to be failing.

I would top it up and monitor the situation for a week or so. If there is a major problem it will show up quite quickly given normal use of the battery.

Thanks, we are out and about for the rest of the month so will check often.

I did notice that the engine battery and one of the two leisure types were the same maker. It's the odd one that shows a water shortage.

I would assume that it would be better to have all three of the same make which I had assumed they were.

Having an oddity present I would think unbalaces the charge and supply.

If a new replacement is purchased I would obviously look for the same make as the two OK one's. Failing that I would renew all three.

Any thoughts on that.

PS Are there some makers that are way and above the others in quality, or are ALL batteries similar?

libby

Battery manufacture is not an exact science and there is some variation between batteries even of the same brand.

Conventional wisdom has it that it is best to have all your leisure batteries of the same age, make and size. It is not so important to have the vehicle starter battery of the same make, age or size as the leisure ones, as they are not connected together when the engine is not running and producing a charge current. This is why leisure batteries can be of the gel type when the vehicle battery is of the normal lead-acid construction.

When batteries are permanently connected (such as two 12-volt leisure batteries), they can pass current between themselves, even when everything is switched off. This action can accelerate battery failure and is the main reason for recommending that the batteries be of the same make, age and size, so as to minimise any imbalance.

Archived