Cam Belts.

Hymer C 9.

Our Hymer 584 is 9 years old and just clocked 40,000 miles and had not had a cambelt, so because of the age thought we would put a new one on for peace of mind with the labour / belt / tensioners it came to £200.

When we collected it asked what the old one was like so they showed it us it was nearly as good as new but you pays your money and takes your chance at least we know it will last another few thousand miles.

What is thought to be normal for a cam belt. Carol.

The service life of fabric cam belts does vary widely between manufacturers and the only safe thing I could advise to do, is to follow the specific recommendations for your engine.

I have seen everything from 3 years up to a maximum of 10 and mileage figures between 40,000 and 100,000.

It is always better to err on the side of safety, as the cost of failure can be very high indeed, not to mention the inconvenience of a breakdown far from home.

Cam belts are victims of both time and mileage."Good mileage" lots of use and a cam belt still needs changing, as the manufacturer says.Many years with little use and the belt still needs changing,as I say.

Me,I ignored my handbook,and the cost was ???

I was lucky,the "only" problems" were a broken camshaft [all the top end was a nightmare] but I did not have cylinder/piston etc problems.

When a cam belt breaks.. *-) *-) Never ignore the cambelt..its a *******

Hymer C 9. - 2009-09-08 10:35 PM

Our Hymer 584 is 9 years old and just clocked 40,000 miles and had not had a cambelt, so because of the age thought we would put a new one on for peace of mind with the labour / belt / tensioners it came to £200.

When we collected it asked what the old one was like so they showed it us it was nearly as good as new but you pays your money and takes your chance at least we know it will last another few thousand miles.

What is thought to be normal for a cam belt. Carol.

I was advised that it should be changed at 6 to 7 years old or about 40,000 miles, whichever came first.

Had it changed last week: six and a half years old and 31,000 miles.

I too asked the garage about the state of the old one and was told that you can't really tell if and when they are about to snap. They just go.

Daves photo has reassured me that I did the right thing !

:-|

When you have the cambelt changed make sure that any tensioners or any other moving part that is in contact with the cambelt is changed or very carefully inspected.

For instance, a new water pump might cost £50, but if it's driven by the cambelt and it seizes up the result is a big bang.

Cambelts break, chains rarely break, chains and sprockets cost a bit more to make. Nuff said.

Archived