French Aires

Keith T

Jay&M - 2009-10-06 7:56 AM

I didn't think you were allowed to have you awning or chairs or even ramps out at an aire?

Maybe I'm wrong. Nice pics though.

I don't know about German Stellplatze, but in France the thing about chairs etc is nothing to do with "aires" as such. It's just that, where camping is forbidden, as long as parking is allowed you can sleep, eat, or whatever in your van, but can't put anything outside - that would constitute "camping."

On most aires I've used there's no explicit ban on "camping" so as long as you're not inconveniencing anyone else it's fine. I even saw one couple who reserved their place on a French aire by leaving furniture in it, as you would on a site. Most people around felt that was pushing it a bit, but it probably wasn't illegal (guess the nationality? Think "towels!").

Tony Jones - 2009-10-06 9:09 AM

I even saw one couple who reserved their place on a French aire by leaving furniture in it, as you would on a site. Most people around felt that was pushing it a bit, but it probably wasn't illegal (guess the nationality? Think "towels!").

Saw what I thought was really taking the p** in Germany one couple had marked an area using metal stakes (the type farmers use for temporary fencing) with red & white plastic tape.

Jay&M - 2009-10-06 7:56 AM

I didn't think you were allowed to have you awning or chairs or even ramps out at an aire?

We stayed on Le Treport, which is fairly tightly packed anyway, and were amazed to see a couple of large A class German vans who took up a whole space each and then wound out their awnings to meet and colonise the space between them!

We paid anything between 3Eur and 7 on our recent trip and a couple were free, but out of the 15 stops we made most were at municipals, I found them cheap for what you got e.g. more space to spread out, at usually between 11 and 13 Eur. I did notice at one Aire as has already been said the Germans taking up three spaces parking long ways!! I don't know how they get a way with it! as at one Aire nr Le Mans, La Suze Sur Sarthe we were parked on the end near overhanging tree,s so didn't get right in, and another Brit next door we had about 5' between us! we were getting some very funny looks from some Dutch people that were parked opposite, I think they thought if we had got right under the trees (scratching our van) they could have squeezed in between. Oh and we didnt leave to avoid paying at Calais :-D we were there between 2.00pm and 7.30am the next morning! but no-body came to collect as they usually do about 7 at night!! I had all my small change :D piled up ready for him to call.

Archived