More on batteries please

libby

Tomo3090 - 2009-11-03 9:15 AM

Our Cheyenne has 2X110 Elecsol batteries and they have been fine.

Just a cople of questions for the "Battery Nerd"! Because they are on what is virtually permanant charge with the panels should I top the up more frequently?

My experiance of Elecsol on solar is regulary check them, and when/if they need replacing get something half the price thats just as good :-S

hymer1942 - 2009-11-03 11:06 AM

Simple question, is 1 x 220 battery better than 2 x 110

It is a simple question, but not a simple answer taking all parameters into account, but overall and to give a simple answer I would say a single battery is better. In practice choice is usually a matter of what fits where, manhandling them and so on.

Where did you get 220Ah from, I am hard pushed to find a 220 Ah battery , 230 Ah yes, 210 Ah, but not 220Ah. However Elecsol do make a 220. (model). It is actually only a 180 or 185Ah if rated using the industry standard of 20 hour discharge rate.

colin - 2009-11-03 3:55 PM

.......... ...

My experiance of Elecsol on solar is regulary check them, and when/if they need replacing get something half the price thats just as good :-S

May be due to Elecsol using a lower specific gravity of acid - it lowers the available capacity as well as the end point charge voltage so they will tend to gas a lot more with standard charger set up before it fold back to a trickle charge and when trickle charging they may well stil be gassing. I also doubt how good they are at recombining the gases back to water.

I personally would not touch this brand of battery with barge pole.

Thank you Brambles for your reply, at the moment I have 2 X 110 Lucas and they fit in a beeny box under my S 650 Hymer so a larger battery would not be a problem and might save on wieght. So what would you suggest in a larger battery 230, I think Varta do one. Regards Barrie

Another battery question. I have a CTEK charger. When you charge the battery do you do so with all the leads in place or do you disconnect everything? The CTEK charges to a higher rate than the onboard charger and I do like to use it occasionally to keep the battery in top order.

hymer1942 - 2009-11-04 9:11 AM

Thank you Brambles for your reply, at the moment I have 2 X 110 Lucas and they fit in a beeny box under my S 650 Hymer so a larger battery would not be a problem and might save on wieght. So what would you suggest in a larger battery 230, I think Varta do one. Regards Barrie

A single battery will save you about 3 Kg plus the interconnection cables.

Varta are one of the most respected battery brands/manufactures.

The lucas batteries you have are probbaly more like 100 Ah , certainly going by the weight of 27Kg i found for Lucas 110. whereas a good 110 ah is about 30 Kg weight. (weight is a good giveaway to real capacity)

So maybe if you are happy with your total capacity a Varta 180 Ah would suffice saving you some weight. Next step up would be as you suggestted the 230 Ah Varta but this is likely to be a lot heavier than you currently have at 64 Kg rather than 54 Kg for your present two (if I have identfied them correctly). Varta 180 is 48 Kgs so will have less capacity than you have at present but more of the capacity might be usable as it is capable of deeper dscharge than your Lucas which are more akin to a modified starter battery than a dedicated designed semitraction battery.

So now if you want to save weight but stick to say greater than 200 Ah but not as high as 230 you need to go for two single batteries.

See, I told you it was not a simple question to answer ..is one battey better than two? Techically yes, in practice not necessarily.

Mike88 - 2009-11-04 10:03 AM

Another battery question. I have a CTEK charger. When you charge the battery do you do so with all the leads in place or do you disconnect everything? The CTEK charges to a higher rate than the onboard charger and I do like to use it occasionally to keep the battery in top order.

As long as the quiescent load (drain with everything in standby mode or switched off on the battery is low then it should be fine with battery connected.

p.s. I should also have added and you do not have any solar panels and other chargers interfering and trying to charge thr battery at same time.

Test it and see if it works as expected. If it does it is fine.

Archived