G3 rubbing compound

gadjo

Hi All

I have a few 'battle scars' and scratches on the van's habitation fibre glass bit, especially around the skirts trees, low walls, railway sleepers!!!ect ect you know the type *-)

I am reluctant to attack the van with wet and dry sand paper and have seen this stuff on the web. Has anyone used it or could anyone recomend anything which doesn't invlove the use of any type of sand paper and doesnt harm the finish????

cheers

We use this Farecla G3 for refurbishing vans before we sell them and for renovating oxidised paint on cars (badly faded). I use a polishing mop and spray a mist of water onto the paintwork as well. You must use water with a machine to keep from burning the paint and it helps when applying by hand also. You may find that the compound is too agressive when applied by hand and can leave marks that are difficult to remove. Use with caution and don't be tempted to rub too hard and you will get on fine. Better to go over the area twice gently than to try to do the job in one go, and remember to use water again. G3 is not a polish though and needs to be sealed on paintwork with something much finer like Turtle wax or Farecla's own G10 finishing compound. Be warned though, do a small area with G3 and G10 and you will end up having to do the whole vehicle because it will be very obvious!

If you want to try a cutting polish that is less agressive, try Simoniz liquid diamond but this needs to be used dry because water makes it difficult to remove. (It has cutting particles in it but also a polymer sealant that gives a good finish with the one product).

There is nothing wrong with T-Cut but for larger areas I find it too much like hard work putting it on and getting it off again. T-Cut is not a polish though and needs sealing as well.

Hope that helps

Nick

euroserv - 2009-09-11 5:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with T-Cut but for larger areas I find it too much like hard work putting it on and getting it off again. T-Cut is not a polish though and needs sealing as well.

Agreed but, instead of rubbing it off, wait until the T Cut has dried and then seal with polish as you would normally. Rubbing them both off together is no more difficult than rubbing the polish off on its own and much, much easier than rubbing the T cut off.

Done it today with T Cut followed by Mer, applied with a slightly damp cloth, on a vintage car.

FD

Archived