Ypres

kelly58

We are hoping to go to Ypres in a couple of weeks time to look for my Uncle's name at the Tyne Cott memorial he and my father signed up together in 1916 and went  to the Somme together where my uncle  was killed.

Are there any aires within the general area or any other parking anyone can reccomend.

I don't know of an Aire at Ieper (Ypres) but there is a very nice but small campsite within 10 minutes walk of the Menin gate. Camping Juegdstadion, Bolwerkstraat1, telephone 057 217282. It has all the facilities and is generally very clean. If you have pushbikes (can be hired locally if necessary) it is an easy ride to Tyne Cot. While at Ieper make the effort to visit the Cloth Hall, which has a world class museum 'in Flanders Fields' which explains a lot about WW1 and the Ypres Salient.

Kelly58

If your uncle was killed at the Somme then you are going to the wrong memorial, the one for the unknown graves for the battle of the Somme is at Thiepval Ridge and was designed by Sir Edward Lutyens.

Tyne Cot is a cemetery for those whose bodies have been recovered (even if they remain unidentified), but it does not cover those killed on the Somme, it is for those killed during the three battles in Flanders, notably Passhendale.

Michael

Peter42 - 2009-09-11 7:28 PM

I don't know of an Aire at Ieper (Ypres) but there is a very nice but small campsite within 10 minutes walk of the Menin gate. Camping Juegdstadion, Bolwerkstraat1, telephone 057 217282. It has all the facilities and is generally very clean. If you have pushbikes (can be hired locally if necessary) it is an easy ride to Tyne Cot. While at Ieper make the effort to visit the Cloth Hall, which has a world class museum 'in Flanders Fields' which explains a lot about WW1 and the Ypres Salient.

We stayed there when we visited the Menin Gate last year. We didn't book ahead, just turned up and it was fine. (Unfortunately the weather wasn't - got drenched walking to the Gate!)

Quite happy with the site, and reasonably priced too.

Kelly

We were in Ypres about month ago. We stayed in a small aires about 2 1/2 miles from the centre out by the water park at 6 euros including 6A hookup at Oude Kortrijkstraat. Google co-cords are 50 50 43.81, 2 58 5.99.

In our first stay we walked into town and it is some distance, so got the bus back.

We went back to get the service at the monument. Every day of the year at 8pm there is a service when they play the last post. About 500 there when we went and most moving.

Parking is no problem, just park at the side of the road. I am 7.4m long and we parked at The Menin Road Cemetery 50 50 28.25 2 54 16.70 and we could have got closer to town centre.

Please keep us posted as to how you get on

We stayed at Camping Juegdstadion in June they only have about 10 pitches for Motorhomes nice site very cheap 5.5€ inc. electric, you need to book we only got in as their was a cancellation.

Always see motorhomes overnighting in Leisure centre car park which backs onto the campsite also in the same road as the leisure centre there are wide parking bays between trees Motorhomes often stop here hardly any traffic on the road as it is no longer a through road it's very pleasant down by the moat.

The Leisure centre is in Leopold III Laan, turn down Jaine Picanollaan to get to it (2 roads before campsite road).

kelly58 - 2009-09-11 5:53 PM

We are hoping to go to Ypres in a couple of weeks time to look for my Uncle's name at the Tyne Cott memorial he and my father signed up together in 1916 and went  to the Somme together where my uncle  was killed.

Are there any aires within the general area or any other parking anyone can reccomend.

To find where a casualty is recorded either by personal headstone or on a plaque for those with no known grave; go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (CWGC), this gives all the information you'll need to locate your uncle.

Archived