The Dongle situation

libby

From the M/H in the middle of a field today using a Vodafone plug in.

My ISP is BT, so although using the Vodafone dongle all email and internet searches are through the BT system.

If I stop using BT at home, that will I assume close all email address facilities and internet searches.

So how can I do EVERYTHING on a dongle without paying for a landline into the house.

I'm certain that all future use will be by this method and all landlines will be obsolete eventually. We receive TV and music by air so why not all other messaging?

Bill

Your internet connection was through Vodafone, you may thought you were using BT probably because you have BT/Yahoo as your browser home page.

You can pick up your mail from a POP box on any internet connection but if you want to send email via your local email client you have to have your SMTP server set to the Vodafone one as you can only send email via an ISP's mail server if you are connected via their service.

If you use a lot of different connections it's worth setting up your laptop as an SMTP mail server then it doesn't matter how you are connected you can send your mail.

With landline broadband speeds increasing all the time dongles will always lag behind and the connection speed & quality varies even at the same location.

With a home line the contention ration is normally 50:1 for basic home packages and you can pay more for a business service which is usually 20:1 or shell out £100 plus a month for 1:1 DSL.

If you are concerned about email address changing when you change suppliers why not register a domain name costs less than 7 quid for 2 years and your email address never need change, don't register through an ISP use one of the independent registrars such 123-reg.

I've used a dongle only for broadband for 18 months now along with mobile phones. We don't have a landline phone line or broadband at all.

You don't have to use the email service of your dongle internet provider, ie Vodaphone. Just register with one of the other email providers, such as Yahoo, Google (G-mail) etc and let everyone know your email address(s) - you can have one for 'business' and one for 'private' if you want. That way it doesn't matter how you connect to the internet, land line or dongle, you can still access it.

Or you can do as Lenny has suggested and register your own domain name and therefore your own 'personalised' email address, here's what he was on about:

123-reg site

lennyhb - 2009-09-12 4:59 PM

If you use a lot of different connections it's worth setting up your laptop as an SMTP mail server then it doesn't matter how you are connected you can send your mail.

If you are concerned about email address changing when you change suppliers why not register a domain name costs less than 7 quid for 2 years and your email address never need change, don't register through an ISP use one of the independent registrars such 123-reg.

As a bit of a technophobe when it comes to this sort of doings I wonder Lenny could you explain to me please (and the rest of us thickos!) how to set up an SMTP server so that I can send emails on my laptop using either the 3 or the O2 dongle (that also has 'free' wifi hotspot access included in the dongle price)?

Do I understand right that by using a domain name as a sort of forwarding service it will collect and forward to me all emails to any and all emails addresses linked to it?

Or have I got that wrong too!

If I do one do I need to do t'other or are both a good idea please?

Cheers!

For an SMTP server I use a program called hMailServer it's freeware & also has a email client as part of the package, you will need a Domain as the receiving server has to be able to resolve an IP to the domain or it will bounce it.

For your use Tracker it is easier to change the SMPT server if you are using Outlook, Outlook Ex or Windows Mail it probably best to set up multiple mail account & select the one for the connection you are on when sending, If using Thunderbird you can set multiple SMPT servers & you just change the one one you are using to the default.

If you have a Domain you can have mail boxes on your host server usually you have to pay for them unless it's with your ISP, often free if you have a hosting package, or you can forward mail to a mail box on your ISP and pick up from there.

As for using Yahoo, Gmail etc, that is a totally different beast on this thread we are talking about local client email which is I consider to be far better & has the advantage for mobile use of being able to compose & read offline. Most ISP's give you webmail access to your mailboxes so you can work on line from internet cafes etc., so you have the best of both worlds not much point in having a separate webmail account. Webmail accounts are very useful testing when setting up accounts I use mine purely that.

Yeah - me too Bill - I've only just mastered remote controls and calculators!

Sincere thanks to MelB and Lenny for trying to explain it to a computer numpty (or two)!

Archived