FREEZER/INVERTER

jillian

I have what is proboly a similier one 'kicking' around the barn at moment, an absorbtion type. As far as power is concerned, should be no problem as even with a not to effiecnt invertor will not pull more than 10amp (about same as your headlights).

What you also need to consider is the heat output, will there be enough air circulating around back of fridge to disperse the heat produced?

Also will it be happy to work 'on the move', I would guess so, but not 100% certain.

Not worried about air circulation, the unit is positioned as specified. I have a inexpensive inverter rated at 300W but when I tried it it didn'tlike it. The output fluctuated between 0 and 6.5A and the fault LED lit intermittently. Maybe because it is an inductive load. I may need a pure sine wave inverter but afraid to buy one if there are normally problems with this type of appliance.

Hi Jillian,

You have answered your own question. You are correct in the invertor does not like the inductive load and vica versa as well.

The Freezer pump (induction motor) will require a large start up current and then a pure sinewave to keep running. Even then pure sine wave invertors do not like inductive loads much and you have to use one rated much higher....cannot remember the typical ratio but is quite a lot higher. Also with the issue of start up current, which can be very high you may find you need a pretty large pure sinewave invertor.

Expect it will be extremely costly to get a suitable invertor. Once the motor is running it is not a problem, its gettng it started.

Jon.

Thanks for this guys, I guess I will have to power up the freezer, fill it when appropriate and the contents should remain frozen during typical driving spells then when on sites overnight connect to the mains supply. The freezer spec plate suggests an operating current of 0.65A, didn't consider the motor start current. Oh well! will make the best of things.

Archived