Lost Barrel for FAP door lock

Rees

Unfortunately, the barrel for our AUS FAP door lock, which secures the habitation door, fell out and has been lost somewhere in northern France.

The local locksmiths here in Cardiff seem to think that replacement barrels and keys for locks on caravans/motohomes are not easy to find.

I find from their site on the www that Oleary Motorhomes does sell the outer part of the FAP door lock including barrel and key. Any advice will be much appreciated. I have numbered my specific queries for ease of reply:

1. Where might I obtain a replacment barrel and key?

2. How is the barrel secured into the lock?

3. Will it be relatively easy for me to fit the replacement barrel myself?

Many thanks. In the past I have found this conference of great help in providing advice and guidance.

There should be no problem getting a new barral for your lock. A thief broke mine in France this year and had to go to Narbonne to get replacement. You will need to get circlip and pliers to make good the new one. Most common are the 5000 series locks but the 4000 will fit as well. Also if you want to be more secure fit the replacement circular key type lock.Mind you the barstewards found that a bic biro cap can be warmed and banged into the lock and turned, but hey what do I know.

Were you fitting a replacment barrel for a FAP lock to the habitation door? What is a circlip? Do you replace just the barrel or the whole lock? What are the 5000 and 4000 series locks? Thanks, I hope you can clarify these queries.

Archived