Cycle rack fitting

Lorrie

This is a job that should only be done by experts. As Dave Newell says the kitchen may have to be removed so that the fitter can locate the strong points to which to attach the bile rack fittings.

A cycle rack fitted incorrectly will end up ripping off the back of your motorhome. Go to a reputable firm of motorhome body repairers who will know how they're constructed and will do the job properly.

This is not something to skimp on!

Hi Lorrie and welcome to the nut house! :->

It would help if you could tell us what your motorhome/van is and the layout in question. Whether you are competent to undertake it yourself, or need expert help, is something you will have to decide. I fitted a bike rack to our Rapido 709F when we had it, but it didn't involve removing a fridge etc as it had a rear corner bed so I could get access to the rear wall easily and used spreader plates inside to support the rack so that it didn't put all the pressure on small areas.

Then I'd think one to two hours labour would be reasonable, cost will depend on hourly rate charged by whoever you get to do the job. As an example we've just had to pay out £92 for a Merc agent to clear a fault light that cropped up on a customers vehicle while we were working on it. no fault was found and no fault code was recorded in the OBD system, all they did was plug in their computer and clear the fault light, maybe I should go into diagnostics checking and fault light clearance >:-) .

D.

Contact the converters and fid out where the reinforcement points are on the rear of your 'van. They should be abe to tell you how far in from the edge etc they are and get a rack that will mount at these points. That way you can drill right through and tighten up on the spreader plates without crushing the rear wall of your 'van.

You can vary the distances between fixing points - both vertically and to a lesser degree horizontally - for most bike racks in order to suit the van's mounting points.

JudgeMental - 2009-09-16 5:03 PM

Do you have a towbar?

Thule do these for 2 or 3 or 4 bikes. Avoids heavy lifting as well......

What is the maximum permissible weight on the towbar?

What is the total weight of this rack with four bikes on it?

Guest JudgeMental
Harvey - 2009-09-18 2:03 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-09-16 5:03 PM

Do you have a towbar?

Thule do these for 2 or 3 or 4 bikes. Avoids heavy lifting as well......

What is the maximum permissible weight on the towbar?

What is the total weight of this rack with four bikes on it?

Err......How the hell do I know, its not my van:-S

ask the manafacturer/fitter of the tow bar? Then Thule I would think regards the capacity of the rack they need? Then its up to the buyer to weigh the bikes if they dont know already. I think its called due dilegence *-)

http://tinylink.com/?T5gE4PfRC0

and this from the CC:

"Noseweight, or more technically "static vertical load" is the downwards weight the caravan exerts on the back of the towing vehicle. Whilst this is recommended as 7% of the actual laden weight of the caravan, for good stability towing, there is a limit to what the car body, suspension and towbar can accept. In general this is set by manufacturers at 50 to 75kg, though bigger cars and many 4x4s may offer 100kg or more. Don't expect any sympathy from the car manufacturer if higher loading is shown to have caused damage to the car. Bear in mind too that the dynamic noseweight as the vehicle travels along will vary wildly around the static figure, being

perhaps several times higher during braking, and largely disappearing at high speed due to aerodynamic effects. Exceeding the static noseweight by only a small amount could therefore mean a significant dynamic overloading."

PLUS: regards security....a heavy motorbike chain and lock can secure the bikes throught the tow bar. Far more secure then a conventional aluminium bike rack.

Archived