Compresser Fridges

MIN663

Hi everyone another newbe here after picking your brains. Bought our first motohome a couple of months ago a Hymer B534 1989 so far only been away for a couple of weekends on hook up. Want to take her wild camping in europe, like the sound of the French Passion scheme. The Hymer has a compresser fridge, How do we run it without hook up? should we consider a generator (or is that a dirty word :-D ).

Thanks for post Colin, The Hymer has a solar panel fitted, seems to keep the battery well charged. I tryed at home the other day by getting the fridge cold on hook up then unhooked switched control panel to leisure battery supply but by early evening fridge was warm. Am i doing it wrong ?

Hi Min, first of all it depends largely on how big your leisure battery is and how well charged it is. Are you really sure its a compressor fridge though? as I've never known Hymer to fit them. If it is a compressor type then its worth checking what current it draws when running. Also check your battery for condition. I have a 100 litre compressor fridge and that takes 5 amps when running but typically only runs for a few minutes an hour, (about a minute at a time once its down to temperature and between twice and six times an hour depending on ambient temperature. How big is your solar panel?

D.

A friend has a super duper new motorhome with a compressor fridge. He has 220 ampere hours of leisure battery and an 80 watt solar panel. Over a 5 day show in the UK (with no hookup) the beer became warm on day 4.

Nuff said.

Compressor fridges are more efficient but my choice would always be gas powered unless there was no gas available - then diesel powered as they do for those massive 4X4 all terrain beasts.

C.

Thank you all for your replies just been out and checked info asked for. The fridge is a Waeco coolmatic 90lt, model is MDC-90, Art-no 8090-120, 12V/5A connection, fuse 15AF, regfrgarant R-12-85gr. The leisure battery is 110AH, the on board meter shows it fully charged needle on meter gos past 14Vs. I have no manuals or paperwork for the solar panel but ifs its any use ive measured the actual panel it is 42 1/2" (1080) long 26" (660) wide and 1 1/4" (35) thick. Hope this helps. Min

Hi Min, thanks for the data, very useful. Regarding your battery though, how old is it? The trouble with using the on board meter to judge your battery's condition is it won't really tell you much, only the surface voltage. If the battery is old and tired for example it might well show 13+ volts at rest but how long will it last with a load on it? Have you checked the electrolyte level recently?(assuming its a wet lead acid battery).

D.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but its broadly relevant.

How long should a 70 litre compressor fridge work off a 110 amp battery at an outside temperature of 25C while the vehicle is static?

A new vehicle I may purchase has such a set up and the last thing I want is a solar panel as there's not much space on the roof once the satellite dish is fitted. Some of the above comments suggest the fridge wont work for very long.

Hi D, Thanks for your help (good Call) .When i bought the hymer couple of months ago chap said battery was new (took his word for it :-( ) just taken battery out it is a wet lead acid, got a date on it 2007 checked electrolyte and none of them are covered in fluid. So i guess its gonna be a new battery. What size AH would you recommend given that the long term aim is wild camping as mentioned above. Min

Mike88 - 2009-09-15 7:32 PM

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but its broadly relevant.

How long should a 70 litre compressor fridge work off a 110 amp battery at an outside temperature of 25C while the vehicle is static?

A new vehicle I may purchase has such a set up and the last thing I want is a solar panel as there's not much space on the roof once the satellite dish is fitted. Some of the above comments suggest the fridge wont work for very long.

My experiance would suggest 1 or maybe 1 1/2 days

MIN663 - 2009-09-15 8:05 PM

Hi D, Thanks for your help (good Call) .When i bought the hymer couple of months ago chap said battery was new (took his word for it :-( ) just taken battery out it is a wet lead acid, got a date on it 2007 checked electrolyte and none of them are covered in fluid. So i guess its gonna be a new battery. What size AH would you recommend given that the long term aim is wild camping as mentioned above. Min

I'd go for the best quality battery you can afford with a minimum capacity of 110AH, if you have space/payload available and can afford them go for two. I'll refrain from advising on manufacturers of batteries as we sell one well known brand and I don't want to appear partisan. ;-)

D.

Mike88, forgive me, but had to smile at your question. You seem more keen on having a TV than a working fridge ("little room for a solar panel once sat dish fitted") Isn't it better to have a fridge that keeps your food at a safe, healthy temperature that watching TV? Not only that, but have you considered that you might need a solar panel to provide power for your sat gubbins as well? Just a thought! Mike.

Archived