Annual Pilgrimage

Archiesgrandad

Annual Pilgrimage  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have just returned from 3 weeks in France, fantastic weather, the Sailor was faultless, but Lord Oh Lord was it expensive to eat or drink out. I reckon everything was about 50% more expensive than last year and I'm not taking into account that the exchange rate has gone South as well.

One other thing, that fabulous Aire at Trebes on the Canal du Midi has apparently closed. There are barriers across the road, and the Tourist Office was not at all helpful, simply telling us it was closed and we should go the the nearby Municipal campsite, which we did, and it wasn't too bad, but it's not the same. It's not the money, we just loved that Aire.

AGD

We've just come back from five weeks away, England, France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany.

The cheapest country without doubt was Germany (except for diesel 1.08€). I was surprised. The Lidl/Aldi prices were cheaper than here in Spain, which is much cheaper than the UK.

We don't eat/drink out much, but we did have a coffee and an enormous piece of Black Forest Gateau for 3.50€ each.

One Camping Cheque site we went to in Echternacherbruck even offered a free laundrette. We'd been on the road staying in aires quite a lot so we did five loads, which would have cost about 40€ at normal camp site prices.

Just as a social experiment you understand we priced up our trip to France which lasted just over 2 weeks. 1900 miles a mixture of free aires,pay aires, municiple campsites and luxury campsites cost £1100, Thats everything fuel door to door ferry crossings all shopping and spending. I think thats still very good value for the two of us!

Guest JudgeMental
our week in the Loire at whitsun was probably the most disappointing and expensive eating out we have ever experienced. The food was rubbish and expensive *-) Our month in Switzerland/Italy we had not one bad meal and all were reasonable in cost compared to France......

Archived