Bad Starting

bobbo

My campers engine is a 2003 Fiat 2.8JTD and up until recently it was a really reliable first time starter, it would start on the first turn of the key every time. But since the summer it has refused to start first time tending to turn over freely with the starter motor but its not until I turn the key a second time that it starts. On this first turn of the key it do's not matter if I hold the key for a short or long attempt its only on the second try that it immediately starts. I have used Injector Cleaner to see if that would help but to no avail. Has anyone had similar problems or know what the cause may be?

Hmmm, no expert but thinking electrical/signal problem - could be the immobiliser playing up.

I wonder if when you turning the key backwards after trying it the first time, it then activates something? When you next try starting it, put the key in but instead of turning the key 'on', try giving it a slightly 'backwards' turn, then turn it 'on' and see if that helps.

The 2.8 JTD engine doesn't actually have glow plugs, it does use a pre-heating system consisting of an electric fuel pump which forces fuel through a small jet into the inlet manifold where it is ignited to pre-heat the ingoing air. There could be a problem with either the fuel pump or ignitier for this system that is causing the problem.

D.

Archived