FIAT DUCATO DOOR MIRRORS - Auto -Trail Tracker 2009

locoman

Does any body know if you can use the shorter door mirrors on an Auto-Trail Tracker ? as the ones fitted seems far two wide, and a passing van smashed the indicater lens on the outer edge of the mirror today, also 1/3 of the mirror is obscured by the vertical window pillar on the drivers side.

With the wide mirror arms as fitted, it is like driving an aeroplane down narrow lanes!

Any ideas ?

Yes you can as the base mounting is the same on all of the mirrors on the X2-50. But make sure you get the right combination of electrical options as there are quite a few.

It seems that quite a large number of Ducato-based Coachbuilt users are having this experience, me included. I agree that the mirrors would seem to be excessively wide, and I have considered replacing them with the shorter arm 'van units. The reducton in overall width would be about 9 inches. I have asked my insurance company if they would have any objections to the modificatin and they said not (by telephone, and I'm waiting for a letter to have this in writing). I think the view down the side of the vehicle would still be perfectly OK and the mirror itself on the drivers side would not be obstructed by the window pillar.

So, if (or more likely, when) I have to replace a mirror unit, then I may well do both with shorter arm bits.

Neil B

One week after collecting our brand new and shiny Tracker EKS a large white van over the white line on a bend took out the mirror completely. Predictably he did not stop. When I phoned the Fiat dealer he said there were 15 possible variations!!!! Ours cost over £200 to replace, so unless the arms just replace the existing it would be a very expensive excercise.

If you just want the shorter arms, get a pair off someone who has had their mirrors wiped out (you have to buy the complete thing as a replacement) and put your mirrors on the other arms. It's not that difficult. otherwise just replace the drivers side one, as that's the one that gets clobbered. Mine was none electric so only cost £134 thankfully.

Many thanks for all your replies, I have managed to get a replacement indicater lense from CHELSTON Motor Caravans in Somerset, £14:00 approx including the bulb, and i have also put reflective tape on the back of the mirror so its a bit more obvious to oncomming traffic.

Very interested in ALL these comments, and certainly agree with them, but its really great when dirving on wide roads!!! I must admit that on 'ordinary' roads I now tend to move over when anything of any size is arpproaching but have noticed quite a few vehicels alsomove over when they spot us. We have had a couple of 'near'misses,and a couple when they just brushed the mirror,and one where it touched and pushed it inwards, but no damage fortunately.

I've always thought they didn't really need to be that wide when extended. Several times - especially in France - we have stopped to let vehicles pass, and pulled the UK nearside one in! Additionally,often when paying at fuel paydesks it has been necessary to pullone (soimetimes both) in to get through the exit!

Archived