internet in europe

Porky

We are off in November to France, Spain and Portugal. I have done a search for "internet in europe" and "internet abroad" but no results available. I was interested in this post on another thread

derek500 - 2009-09-21 8:14 AM

I unlocked my '3' dongle using software I Googled for.

In the UK I use a '3' PAYG SIM, here in Spain I use a Simyo sim (very good 1.16€ per day for up to 100mb about 30€ for a month unlimited - speed reduced after 5gb).

When in Germany I bought an Aldi PAYG sim and used it in the same dongle.

Looking for similar in France, where I can just by a PAYG sim without the dongle.

Does anyone else have any experience of buying and using dongles in europe?

we don't bother with dongles. can usually get WI=Fi, may have to pay, but often free. If you are going to Portugal, it is very, very easy, as the Govenment are trying to give free acces to the whole country. Most of the sites in the the Orbitur group have free access, sometimes you may have to sit outside or inside the cafe, sometimes available all over the site. we found that the Acsi sites were good, take a camping guide for Spain, as the sites are sometimes few and far between, and The police may move you on if you wild camp, we had a great ten weeks there this year, can't wait to get back next year

P

hi porky

we are in italy at the moment

got wifi at mcdonalds in biesca instantly..just sat outside and logged on

but every one we have tried since has required a password

we asked the staff and were told that we need an italian mobile number BY LAW to gain access!

in france at mcdonalds you just log on and bingo..away you go..unlimited time

in portugal last winter at mcdonalds they give you the password which works at any branch ..again unlimited time..and the coffees in portugal come in a china cup and are delicious !! also most towns have public access points which are free

in spain last winter the system was slightly different in that when you purchased something and asked for wifi you were given a card with a code number and you got free access for 30 mins

in practice the staff gave you a couple of cards for each drink so you could get 2 hours for the price of 2 coffees...

a BIG smile and thank you very much usually produces access to a plug point

it's pronounced wiffy

in france and portugal most times we were unable to get close enough to get a signal in the van ..but if it's busy you can just sit outside and no-one notices you are online...i don't think the staff are too bothered anyway, as they are only paid peanuts

happy travels

cheers

berti

in france and portugal most times we were unable to get close enough to get a signal in the van ..

I took our TV aerial off the TTR pole and mounted a long range wi-fi antenna in its place.

Works brilliantly. I've picked up 'free' wi-fi from access points up to 5km away.

berti - 2009-09-24 12:16 PM

hi derek

that sounds a good idea..can you post some details of where to buy the item , cost, installation etc

cheers

berti

Like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Set-Panel-19dBi-5m-USB-Alfa-Adapter-500mW-WiFi-WLAN_W0QQitemZ280400048883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Networking_SM?hash=item41492532f3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2373wt_1013

Attach the antenna to the TV aerial pole. Run the cable through the pole into the MH.

Attach the cable to the wifi adaptor and the adaptor to your laptop with the USB cable.

derek500 - 2009-09-24 9:59 AM

Works brilliantly. I've picked up 'free' wi-fi from access points up to 5km away.

Just to remind everyone that its illegal to connect to a wifi connection you have no permission to use (in the uk anyway, dont know about other countrys)..........just google 'stealing wifi' for loads on it.

Of course, I'm not saying you (derek500) needed any permission to access these signals, as they would have been public access ones?

in france and portugal most times we were unable to get close enough to get a signal in the van ..

I took our TV aerial off the TTR pole and mounted a long range wi-fi antenna in its place.

Thanks Derek. We use BT broadband in the UK and get 350 free wi fi minutes anywhere. I have joined BTfon and I can see that there are quite a few hotspots in Europe so I will look into this.

Roy Fuller

I have now purchased an ariel antenna with adaptor and tried it out in the car in various places. It works well and amongst a load of password protected sites are some free sites. Now together with Skype we will be able keep in touch with people and access the internet free on our travels. Even the small plug in ariel which came with the kit is a big improvement on the laptops antenna. So thanks Derek that was very helpful information just what this forum is for.

Roy Fuller

Archived