Fiat Ducato 5th Gear.

MDR

:-S , I am about to test drive a 1999 Auto-trail Cheyenne 590s 2.8, can any one inform me if the 5th gear is a problem on this type Motor home

the mileage being 47000 and the setter says no problem,?. could I be advised on this ... Thanks, MDR, *-) .

We have had two five speed Fiats 2.8's ,neither had a 5th gear problem.

However be aware that there are a number of final ratios, some may be too high for satisfactory driving, other than motorway driving. Great for economy but a real pain to drive between 40 >> 50 mph.

or towing, The 5th gear can be changed for a different ratio fairly easily.

Try before you buy.

Rgds

There have been reports (do a search on 5th gear problems) of failures on the 5th gear of these vans. Some due to water getting into the gearbox, others with oil starvation. These are an old design of gearbox with originally only 4 ratio's, Fiat added an extra one, by 'bolting on' an extra casing containing the 5th ratio, however lubrication is by 'Splash' from the main box. I believe the later models from 2002 onwards had an improved box. I would check the gearbox oil (it has a dipstick) to make sure it doesn't have water in it, and chahge the gearbox oil as soon as you get the van home. ray :D

Hi MDR, yes the Ducato you are looking at is of the generation that was prone to 5th gear failure. I wouldn't let it put you off though as although many did suffer problems many more did not. If you do suffer fifth gear failure it is a relatively simple and not overly expensive job to replace the fifth gear hub assembly.

D.

Hi,

I completely agree with Dave and would only like to add that the vehicle that you mention is probably the most trouble free version of the Ducato of all and should be a joy to own. If the fifth gear problem raises it's head it really is not a big job or that expensive.

Nick

Archived