240v Connection - Query

Blizzard

Since bringing the MH home and storing it at the side of our house, we've had it plugged in to an external weatherproof socket while we get used to operating the onboard systems.

Is there any harm leaving it connected 24/7 while it's at home, to keep the leisure battery topped up and occasionally run the heating, or is it best to disconnect and only power up occasionally, or a day or so before going away ?

Any experiences or thoughts from those of you that keep yours at home ?

Thanks.

Blizzard

The "Electrical Systems" chapter of John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" book contains the following advice on battery-charging:

"When on mains hook-up, some people keep a built-in motorcaravan charger constantly running. This was acceptable with older chargers that incorporated a transformer. Manufacturers of 'switched mode' electronic chargers now recommend that a charger is turned off when the battery level indicator shows a satisfactory condition."

I favour (and personally employ) your 2nd option - "disconnect and only power up occasionally" - as this should minimise the chances of damage occurring if an electrical fault should develop with the battery and/or charging system while the vehicle is on hook-up. Assuming there is no electrical load being placed on it, a fully charged leisure battery in good condition should easily tolerate a minimum between-charges interval of a month.

As far as I'm concerned, the only real justification for having an 'idle' motorhome's charger permanently running is if the battery being charged is actually powering something. If your Bessacarr's charging system can also charge the engine-battery and that battery feeds a vehicle-alarm that demands a fair amount of electrical power, then I guess that might excuse 24/7 charging.

Thanks Derek,

The system does allow the engine battery to be charged whilst connected to 240v, and that battery does power the alarm and 'Tracker' unit, however the drain is fairly minimal and does not warrant constant charging.

In view of your comments on the newer systems, I think I'll adopt

"Option 2" :-D

jayeastanglia - 2009-09-27 2:40 PM

put a timer on the plug if you can so it is only powering the mH at night when electric is cheaper.

Is domestic electricity cheaper at night in the UK (unless you've actually still opted for that old night storage heater tariff rate thingy)?

Archived