Christmas Away

kayakking1

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome! :-D

France generally wll be cold and wet in winter like here.......The Med coast may be better but it is risky. Southern Spain probably the best chance of better winter temps.

Here's a good website.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/

Here's what it says about where we live. Much drier here than down south in the Costa del Sol!!

WINTER

Winter in Valencia is pleasant, mild and filled with clear blue skies, it does however get considerably colder come sundown. The months December through to February are not particularly wet either, generally averaging 51mm to 52mm of precipitation in December and falling to 32mm to 36mm come January and February. January is generally the coldest month, with an average minimum of 7 ºC and an average maximum of 16 ºC.

As for France, around Biarritz can be pretty mild during the winter, much less cold the UK.

kayakking1 - 2009-09-27 9:52 AM

Hi,

We are looking to go to France for Christmas this year, and would appreciate some feedback on where to go to find warmer weather than home and whether any campsites are open and just general advice.

Many Thanks :->

Normally I would suggest you get a copy of the ACSI book which willl give you numerous EU sites with their opening dates, but I do not know when the 2010 book is out, I think it is towards the end of the year. Try Vicarious Books they will tell you. ACSI sites can also be accessed at www.eurocampings.co.uk I think the old sailing rule of "go south until the butter melts" might be worth following if temperature is important to you, but think about just exploring another country where the average temperature is somewhat higher. www.weather.com provide average temperatures for each month of the year.

Just head south.

Roy Fuller

Roy Fuller

kayakking1 - 2009-09-27 9:52 AM

Hi,

We are looking to go to France for Christmas this year, and would appreciate some feedback on where to go to find warmer weather than home and whether any campsites are open and just general advice.

Many Thanks :->

As already mentioned, apart from the South west forget it if you want some winter warmth.

Spain is really the easiest place go, and south of Valencia is generally warmer. If you stay for a reasonable time you could move into Portugal for mid Feb onwards. We've done it a few times and found the temps good, tee shirts and shorts most of the time.

Archived