First year questions

Nicegrover53

Hi, I am in my first year of motorhoming (loving it) and have a couple of questions.

1. Whilst on a site for a few days with electric hook up. Should I leave the battery charging all the time or just give it a top up each day? Can you overcharge the battery?

2. It's time I thought about flushing through the fresh water system. What product should I use - I don't use it for drinking water?

Thanks

Others will have better answers that I can give you regarding electrics but as far as I'm aware everyone leaves the electrics plugged in all the time. Plus at home as well while the M/H is not being used.

Water. You will read many differing views. I never flush the system. But I do empty all the water when the M/H is likely to be idle for a month plus I leave all the taps open (the drain and inside taps) including the shower, also emptying the water traps. I also open the water tank inspection cap and dry out the inside.

This is to ensure a free flow of air all through. And don't forget water freezes. In winter any trapped water may burst pipes and joints.

It would be very helpfull if you published the M/H Make and Model then those who have the same type can offer suggestions or problems they have met.

There are differing views regards drinking the on-board water, we never do.

Bill

These are a couple of earlier forum threads that may be helpful

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17317&posts=7

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3082&posts=12

I agree with libby that motorcaravanners staying on campsites and using a 230V electrical supply will normally leave their motorhome's battery-charger running constantly to maintain the charge of their batteries. No real idea what percentage of motorcaravanners also do this while the vehicle is standing idly at home. Not too many I would guess - certainly I don't.

When on a campsite I prefer to switch off the battery when on hook up after battery is fully charged. Reason is because when items are switched on and off, the charger enters another charge cycle and causes repetatative slight overcharging of the battery. At home I disconnect the leisure battery and it is fine for weeks at a time, but the engine battery does need topping up once a week or fortnight because of the alarm draining it.

During our first year or so of ownership we used to leave the charger "on" all the time whilst "hooked" on site. It failed during year 2 and was replaced - we don't know whether the failure might have been to some extent caused by leaving it on but we no longer do this, just using it to top-up as necessary. Charger No 2 still going strong after 4 years.

Our van is parked in a compound without hook-up so the batteries never undergo charge there. The leisure battery's about 6 years old and still seems OK (that's done it .....) receiving charge only occasionally on site, whilst on the road (via the engine charging circuit) and very rarely when at home.

The only slight deterioration we've noticed was last February on a very remote and frosty non-electric farm site in Cumbria. We hadn't been away in the van for about 4 months and the 1.5 hour drive up wasn't enough to stop our leisure battery getting sleepy after a few days. Running the engine for 15 minutes helped.

Regarding water system we drain fully between trips and flush with mains water before each departure, leaving the system filled overnight in the hope the Chlorine will help. Nonetheless, we never use the onboard water for drinking.

Regarding "wintering" the van, apart from draining as above our main measure is to ensure it gets a 20 mile or so run every 10 days or so, except when the roads are salted! This seems to keep everything ticking over but even better is to keep using it for occasional trips if possible.

Rapido-lass - 2009-09-29 12:04 PM

We leave our battery connected whilst on mains hook up - never had any problems of over charging.

We never leave water in the tank when the motorhome is not being used, and just fill when needed.

Hi Rapido, How old is your battery and how often do you hook up overnight and for how long?

Jon.

Don't use hookups much but always leave the van plugged in at home, previously with caravans always left plugged in, leisure batteries have lasted 5 years plus.

At least by leaving it plugged in I know I going to be able to start it when required.

Always drain the water system after a trip, and before for a trip fill the tank up & flush about 25% through never have any problem using on board tank for drinking water.

I do not turn on the charger when on site and hooked up to mains. leisure battery is charged up whislt driving to site (vehicle battery charges first then automatically switches to charging leisure battery). At home when van is not being used I start engine once a fortnight and leave running for 20-30 mins. Van now 5 years old and still using original battery with no problems.

I have always used the water from the fresh water tank for making hot drinks, never had any problems. Flushed tank out for first time this summer after returning from Spain (first flush through in 5 years), used Milton Steralising Fluid (although have taken note of advice received since doing it). Have used van numerous times since flushing out and drank the water from the fresh water tank, no problems so far.

As for draining down, if your van has a separate holding tank for the WC flush then remember to empty this as well. Also, as well as the main fresh and waste water tanks you should also drain the hot water boiler.

You are on first year questions, I have had Motorhomes for 12 years and I am still asking a lot of questions, some of which are still very basic. The good thing about this forum is that there is such a wealth of experience from other members about almost every subject under the sun. Just keep asking the questions and you will keep receiving responses (some a bit tongue in cheek at times but it adds to the fun) :D

My engine battery used to go flat when not being used. I bought one of those mini solar panels from ebay and I connect the wires direct to the battery and lay the panel on the roof. Stays charged now.

As for leisure batteries, ever couple of weeks I hook up at home for a couple of days.

When on hook up, my control panel doesn't give me the option to turn off charging, so they're on charge all the time.

Brambles - 2009-09-29 12:38 PM

Rapido-lass - 2009-09-29 12:04 PM

We leave our battery connected whilst on mains hook up - never had any problems of over charging.

We never leave water in the tank when the motorhome is not being used, and just fill when needed.

Hi Rapido, How old is your battery and how often do you hook up overnight and for how long?

Jon.

Hi Jon,

We bought the motorhome new 2 years ago new.

We regularly use our motorhome, so I would say that probably on average 2 weekends a month give or take. Plus our holidays - our latest fortnight we only were hooked up to electric overnight 3 times. We also have a solar panel which is connected up constantly. Normally on our main holidays we are hooked up to electric more often. We also go away on Bank holidays, Easter and Christmas where we are connected up for the duration of 3-5 days at a time.

Archived