Is it possible to do Austria in 2 weeks?

Mad Cow

Hi all

Other half has seen an article in recent motorhome mag about Austria and I must say it looks fab. Still being in employment (roll on retirement) I only get so much hols so can anyone tell me the best way to cross and the best route and the essentials to see in Austria. We live in the South East and about 2.5 hours from Dover.

Mad Cow

It is possible to do lots in 2 weeks as we are limited to time through work. The way we see things is that you'll never have enough time to see everything where ever you go, but, if you do as much as you can it gives you an insight and you can always go back and do it at leisure when you are lucky enough to have the time.

Just to put it in prospective - we managed to see Santa Land in Finland as well as go to the Nordkapp, Hammerfest, Tromso etc in a fortnight - admittedly rushed, but what an experience! We'll be back.

I agree with Cathy here - get over there and do what you can in the time you've got. Any of the short crossings (Dover/Ramsgate/Folkestone - Boulogne/Calais/Dunkerque/Ostend) will point you in the right direction for Austria. Check out the prices and times which suit you.

If Austria is the main point of the trip, I'd recommend using motorways to get there. Hang the expense, and don't spare the horses. I know fuel consumption is better if you take it easy, but you've only got a fortnight so put your foot down and get the max possible time in your destination country. You can enjoy the intervening scenery another time.

We spent some time in Vienna as part of our recent Grand Tour. There's a free Stellplatz at the train station at Kritzendorf. You can park for a few days and go into town by train each day. Need to be sound sleepers though - it's very near the track!

Enjoy yourselves

Tony

Big Momma - 2009-09-29 7:13 PM

I used to travel through Austria (over Brenner Pass to Italy) when I lived in Germany. Often said I would stop in Austria at some point but never have. If you do the trip grateful if when you come back you let me know about the 'Go Box' system that they have introduced.

Regarding the Go-Box, we got one last year when we travelled in Austria. This is needed if your motorhome is over 3.5ton otherwise a vignette is all you require.

You need your log book to actually get the Go-Box registered to your vehicle. If memory serves me right, it cost about Euro 80, but most of that becomes credit on the machine. You can get these Go-Box near the motorway in Austria - follow signs saying 'Vertreib' all the trucks go there to top up their boxes. Every time you go past one of the sensors on the motorway gantry, it bleeps and deducts a fee automatically.

Contrary to some peoples belief - when you leave Austria, you can surrender the Go-box and get yhe remainder credit refunded or leave it on the box for your next holiday! I also believe (memory serving me correct) that the G-Box is valid for 2 years.

However, I have seen something about Austria's Go-Box charges changing depending on emissions on the forum but not had time to read it, so please don't take what I have said as gospel until you have confirmed the later. Hope this helps

Travelling to Italy for the last couple of times we have gone via France, Belgium, Germany, Austria.(Thanks to info on this site after our first expensive trip via French motorways!) There were no motorway charges on any we used until we reached Austria so not really expensive to drive to. Enjoy your trip wherever you end up. B-)

Obvious, I know, but to get as much as possible out of a short trip, you need to decide what you want to see before you go, and then target that.  Most (but not all!) of Austria is mountainous and very scenic, but there is much, much, more, if you are interested in the culture. 

Why not get a guide from the library and read that, then see what appeals, then get out the maps and see what, realistically, you can get to in one trip?  To save time and money, generally stay out of France on the way down, by using the German Autobahnen.  If you want free stopovers, there are plenty of stellplatze you can use: if you prefer campsites, ditto.  You will be speed limited (even on the autobahn) as you are over 3.5 tonnes, so don't forget to check the appropriate limits.  You will need a Go Box for Austrian Autobahnen (and one or two other roads around Vienna), but not if you say off these roads.

Archived