Quality Control : Motorhomes

Frank McAuley

our autosleeper has a cobra, not impressed with cobra alarms, wished i had got a strike back alarm instead of getting a cheaper cobra mentioned by the dealer.

get frequent reversal of arming where the central locking turns off the alarm and locking the doors disables the alarm. result the alarm has to be reset which is easy but annoying.

From early 2006 until mid 2008 we owned an A/S Nuevo, and it was a nightmare!! It was back at the factory 3 times for water ingress, the last two times for the same leak!. There were so many other issues, such as wash basin cracked, upholstery fraying, water tank leaks, uncomfortable beds, etc etc, that we were mightily relieved to part company with it. It was originally bought on recommendation and reputation, our first Motorhome. We now have an Autotrail Tracker and are now starting to relax and not expect something else to go wrong every time we use it.

Neil B

I got a bit of 'teasing' when I changed froma Rapido to a Rimor, comments about the cheaper quality etc and that we'd notice the difference.

Now, we've had the Rimor for over 2 and a half years and we've had no quality issues with it at all - the furniture, fixtures and furnishings are standing up very well to our usage. From what I can remember, the only major problem we had was with the Dometic fridge (not Rimor's fault) and a lose electrical connection into the electrical unit. Apart from the modifications I decided to make to suit our needs, the only real 'problem', if you can call it that, was that the habitation door was a bit draughty but some draught excluder soon sorted that out.

The Rapido, by comprison didn't do so well - the cupboard doors, being made with solid wood frames, were a problem as they started to get gaps between the joints, the habitation door lock wasn't fitted properly and eventually 'ate' it's way through the rubber seal which had to be replaced, we had fun and games with the fridge (Dometic problem though) and a few other more minor problems. The matching seat covers never fitted at the bottom edge properly and were always trying to lift up. The bathroom door lock wasn't fitted properly and had the habit of jamming shut ... not good if you needed to go in a hurry! Parts of the bumper got stress cracks within the first few months and one of the other pieces of trim too; and the sealant on the roof joint was going after 3 years!!! Oh, just remembered, the edge of the bed end tried to 'escape' from the wall!

Don't get me wrong the Rapido's problems were still pretty minor compared to what others have had to put up with ... and after what we'd had go wrong when we'd had a new 2001 Swift beforehand they were a mere irritation.

Our Swift was novel ... it had an indoor swimming pool! It was under the long side settee base - when it rained water was thrown up through an overly large hole which had been cut out for the gas drop out vent which allowed the water to get in round the wheelarch and under the sofa ... it drown our electrical stuff ... don't get me started on the other stuff that was wrong with it ... and what the dealers did to 'damage' it whilst supposedly repairing the fridge. I do wonder where it ended up though!!! 8-) If anyone has a Swift Suntor 590RS FE51 PEO let me know! :-D

Archived