Next Year's Tour - Italian Lakes

alan

Hi Folks

We are contemplating going to the Italian Lakes next year via Germany and Austria, dropping in to see Venice on the way. Any suggestions and routes would be more than welcome. At some time in the Forum, a very famous route in Germany was mentioned, the name of which I cannot remember!

Any suggestions please?

Thanks and regards

Alan

Hi Alan & welcome

I think the route / road you are refereing to is "The Romatic Road" or Romantischstrasse.

Starts at Wurzburg & meanders all the way down to Fussen - where you'll see King Ludwig castles.

http://www.romantischestrasse.de/

http://www.tompgalvin.com/places/de/bayern/koenigschlosser.htm

Also worth a visit are such cities are Koblenz, & Ausburg to name but a couple.There are many camp sites that you can stay at or you can use the "Stellplatz" system. Also you can wild camp in one spot for up to 3 days - German law - before moving onto your next destination.

If you have the time then go along the Mosel valley and see Trier - Germany's oldest town. This is also worth a trip just on it's own.

We've toured this area & into Bavaria consistantly over the last 10 + years. There is a lot to see & do.

"Judgemental" also goes down into Italy a lot & would be a good contact for you re info on the Italian lakes.

Route B42 along the Rhine seeing all the castles is another good journey, I have a made a little list of the castles with a brief history,along this particular road & can let you have a copy if you contact me via my e-mail address.

Hope I've been of some use, and given you some ideas. If you want to, you can contact me & I will try and help where I can.

Thai

Routes really depend on how long you're going for, and whether you want to spend as much time in Italy as possible or whether to spend time on the journey.

Our route to the western lakes was lille, luxembourg (cheap diesel and no tolls), Metz, Nancy, Colmar, German autobahns then Basle, Luzern, Altdorf, Andermatt and then you arrive at Locarno or Lugano. A leisurely 2 and 1/2 days from Calais earlier this year.

As to what to see on the Lakes, well on Maggiore, the scenery is fantastic but steep slopes not many campsites, Stresa and Isola Bella. Over the hill at lago di Orta visit Isola San Guilio and Orta San Guilio.

Moving east lago di Como had even less space around it, beautiful scenery and villas.

Moving on again to Garda, we've stayed at the bottom near Peschierra and between Bardolino and Garda. Lots of places to visit on the lake by ferry. parts of Sirmione are like Blackpool, but if you walk a bit then its a wonderful location. Malcesine, San Felice and Torre del Benaco are lovely old towns.

You can do a day trip to Verona by local bus from many places on the lake, couldn't find a campsite nor any stopping places for vans near the town.

Venice is worth a couple of days as a first visit to whet the appetite in low season or 3 days in high season, it gets very busy. We have friends who live about an hour away by car or train so haven't camped near the city.

There's lots to do in Venice even just wandering away from the crowds in the back streets and discovering incredible churches and old palaces.

A route back we have used from the lakes is from the top of Como to St Moritz and Davos, Klosters and Bad Ragaz then Zurich and Basle or

From Garda, up the motorway to the Brenner and Innsbruck ( penalties of the go box if over 3.5 tonne) then Telfs, Fussen, Kempten, Ulm, Stuttgart, Karlsruhe, Landau, good campsite at Dahn then Luxembourg

or up to Bolzano, then Merano, Zernez (nice little campsite,) then Davos and as above.

Lots of choices, ahve a read thro some of the Guide books ( Rough Guide and Planet Earth), it all depends on waht you like to see and do,

cheers alan

I can bore you some more if you wish!

Hi All

Brian - thanks for the information about Germany, am interested in the route B42 Rhine - have opened up both websites you gave me, both great. I'll contact you by email.

Alan - as you said, it depends upon how long we're going for - we're planning some something a little longer than six weeks with a quick dash to Luxemburg into Germany and then a speedy return out of France, so should have a fair time to see Germany and Italian lakes. Description of Italian lakes great, thanks a lot.

We're very interested in visiting Venice for 2-3 days, has anyone out there got any info on campsites nearby?

Regards

Alan

We stayed at the Troncetto aire right on Venice itself. It cost 32 Euros a day, expensive but you wake up with the lagoons right outside your bedroom window! It is quite secure, has hook up and waste/water facilities. It is 2 minutes walk from the water bus terminal that goes right into the Grand Canal, St Marks Sq. and Murano, (where the famous glass museums are).

You can find ACSI camp sites just outside the city for about 15-20 Euros and most are reasonable. We found that you didn't need to book ahead in Italy, just turn up, even at Easter.

Don't get the water taxis, they are little motor launches. They look nice but cost the earth. The water buses are reliable and are every 10 minutes or so.

Venice is as fantastic in real life as you think it is going to be. To be honest we found that three days will barely scratch the surface, but any longer and you will be suffering from culture overload! It gets very hot and crowded in summer but we were there in March and it was pleasant to walk round in shorts and t shirt during the day but quite cool in the evening. It's not as expensive as you think it will be either. Unless that is you sit at a cafe in St Marks' Square! But just off the square there are plenty of pizza/pasta cafes and bars that are more "normal" price wise. There is even a McDonalds if that's your thing.

Plenty of campsite south of Venice on the Lido de Jesolo peninsula.

We satyed at C'Savio. Short bus ride from outside takes you to Punta Saabotini from where ferries cross to the centre of Venice. By sea is best way to arrive.

Expensive refreshments arround the 'port' but better value can be found in the 'backstreets'

Worth the trip.

;-)

alan - 2009-10-02 4:33 PM

We're very interested in visiting Venice for 2-3 days, has anyone out there got any info on campsites nearby?

Regards

Alan

Marina De Venezia near Punta Sabbioni. very large site, loads of facilities (Pools and Shopping Complex), own sandy beach. Very close to water taxis that will take you either to Venice or several of the islands in the lagoon. Unfortunately have not got web site address to hand but easy to 'Google'.

Many thanks all for great advice on Venice, it looks as though we're going to have to re-think our timing and stay a little longer in Venice than orignally intended! Information gratefully received, thanks again!

Regards

Alan

Archived