Parking For Motorhomes In Weymouth

catinou

This topic may have been covered before but just wanted to say how pleased we were to have a choice of parking spaces for our motorhome in Weymouth last week. Although, it was very pricey it seemed a step in the right direction as at least we weren't banned. :-S

We parked at the Swannery car park (5 minutes walk from the seafront) paying £4 for 3 hours - per space! We take 2 "normal" spaces so purchased 2 tickets - £8 for 3 hours......but still worth it to occasionaly visit. B-)

The other place we could have parked was at the Pier car park - again paying for 2 spaces - but at £5 for 3 hours, per space decided we could do without the sea views and kept to plan A. *-)

At least it means we can now take the grandchildren in the motorhome to the sea side for a few hours - with all the additional extras - ie donkey rides etc. B-)

We would love to go more often as we love the area but parking in Weymouth is very pricey at the best of times for any vehicle - wonder if that is why it seems quieter than other years, as stated by several shop keepers during our visit? Maybe they are practising for 2012????

Ah the human condition of parking as close as possible. I have seen people at a golf club drive around (pardon the punn) the car park to try and park as close to the clubhouse as possible and then of course walk miles around the course. Anything close to amenities or view is likely to cost whether it`s buying a house or parking a motorhome. I would be more interested to know if there are possibilities say 30 minutes walk from the front. Yes I know children were mentioned but shouldn`t we be encouraging them to walk further and save money at the same time?

I have a great concern about the knock on affects of the excessive costs of 2012. How on earth can we justify adding significantly to our already massive debts? Just my feeling, don`t want to start an off topic discussion.

Roy Fuller

I've only parked in Weymouth when particpating in sailing events so never had to pay or look for parking overlooking harbour.

I suppose for 2012 a prize parking place would be along chisel beach? is there parking here that would give views of harbour and races?

By the way, today spent some time 'cruising' around hospital car parks, after a couple of curcuits managed to park in A&E at £2.50 for 2 hours.

colin - 2009-09-30 10:55 PM

I've only parked in Weymouth when particpating in sailing events so never had to pay or look for parking overlooking harbour.

I suppose for 2012 a prize parking place would be along chisel beach? is there parking here that would give views of harbour and races?

By the way, today spent some time 'cruising' around hospital car parks, after a couple of curcuits managed to park in A&E at £2.50 for 2 hours.

I hope that was to attend the hospital, you give the impression this was just to park up?

granddad - 2009-09-30 8:44 PM

hi if you go again and park at the pier back on to wall that is if you are not to big or you might get near the brown shed in the car park. by the way where did you stay

dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for that - we are nearly 8 metres long so might not fit there but we could certainly try. When you ask where did we stay? If you mean the car park - the Swannery, if you mean site - we didn't we were just out for the day from Southampton.

Guest Tracker

Granted health issues do make a difference to attitudes and I am not criticising anyone who pays such extortionate parking fees but I consider that £8, let alone £10, for three hours parking is a bloody disgrace and we will continue to give the biased hoteliers of Dorset CC their wish and avoid their overpriced anti Motorhome County like the plague!

Hop over the border to East Devon and Teignbridge instead to find a totally different and much more reasonable attitude, so we spent a couple of hundred quid in a few days in and around Dawlish and Teignmouth earlier this year instead where most traders and locals made us feel quite at home.

If you just have to go to Weymouth you have our sympathy - but not our company - lucky you!

Archived