Increased Fuel & power

4petedaniel

At the motor home shows I have visited there always seems to be a number of stalls with a gadget promising to improve the power and the fuel consumsion of your motor home. for very little costs.

Has anyone fitted any of these gadgets and got a view of any improvment . are they worth the cost or not?

The stall holders spin quite a line and I must admit that I am tempted.

But if it is as easy as they tell me we would all have them wouldn't we?

I know exactly what you mean about these gadgets and they do seem tempting but, I've always held back as if they were that brilliant the base vehicle would be built with one already or the dealers would promote it. Other people here will probably have tech data to agree or disagree, but I feel it's probably not such a good deal, and altering your driving style can make a difference.

Our old van is flat out at 65mph downhill with a tailwind. This is a constant source of frustration for my husband, who says it doesn't have the guts for overtaking, even when whatever you are stuck behind is only doing about 40mph! Why are white van mans vans so much faster? Is it because they are diesel, more modern or just simply that they are being thrashed? Ours is not worn out, has only done about 47000m and has always been serviced throughout its long life. Wonder if anything would improve its ooomph? *-)

Increasing the power output of an older engine may well be opening a very expensive can of worms because the engine parts have worked together in perfect harmony for years and have grown old gracefully together and - just like us - asking them to suddenly work a lot harder than they are used to could precipitate an early failure or two?

You can get tablets for that Tracker! :->

Must agree though, I seem to recall a lot of older cars were 'condemned to death' due to some of the additives in modern fuel to keep engines cleaner where they stripped all the gunge etc that was in the old engines which actually sealed up problems and kept them running! 8-)

Josie

The 2.0litre petrol engine fitted to mid-1990s Ford Transits produced 77bhp and 146Nm of torque. The 2.0litre diesel engine fitted to my 2005 Ford Transit-based motorhome produces 125bhp and 285Nm of torque. The power output of commercial-vehicle motors has increased dramatically over the last 10 years, particularly the output of turbo-diesel powerplants. For example, the most powerful 2.0litre diesel motor that will be fitted to the next version of VW's T5 Transporter will provide 180bhp, a figure unthinkable not too long ago.

It would be possible to increase the output of your Minuet's motor by using conventional tuning methods (or possibly be turbo-charging or supercharging), but it really isn't worth considering. As long as the motor is running well and has been correctly serviced, you'd be wiser just to accept the limitations of its current performance.

If your husband is frustrated by your Minuet's lack of oomph, it's may well be easier (perhaps even cheaper!) to replace your husband than attempt to improve your motorhome's performance sufficiently to make him happy.

I have used Emag for years, the engine runs cleaner that is the only positive thing I have noticed. On my petrol 4X4 when I was towing the inside of the tail pipe gradually turned from black to pale grey, and at oil changes the oil was a bit nearer to oil colour than black, same thing with my Holdsworh Ranger on a rear wheel drive petrol Renault. My Transit diesel which I now have for the last three years, exhaust was black smoke when starting and slowly got less for the first mile or so, now since fitting Emag, clean with no smoke at all after a few weeks, so it does something. The van is performing very well, got to watch the speed, can go nearly 80 when overtaking trucks on the motorway. I don't know if the Emag does it or would it be like that anyway. MOT man says my emmissions are better than average for the age of the van. So you pays yer money and takes yer chance. Like some folk say, too clean an old engine can uncover problems.

Re chipping can be done to reduce emissions or increase torque or reduce torque and maximum power output. Any re-chipping that provides more power that the user takes advantage of cannot reduce fuel consumption.

Those selling magnets and the like should be prosecuted and I find it hard to understand how they are allowed to trade.

Snake Oil is putting it politely!

C.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-10-01 9:41 AM

If your husband is frustrated by your Minuet's lack of oomph, it's may well be easier (perhaps even cheaper!) to replace your husband than attempt to improve your motorhome's performance sufficiently to make him happy.

Don't tempt me :D :D

Re the van, I suppose we just have to accept that its an old fashioned engine, and lets be honest, you can forgive a vehicle a lot of things if it is reliable and watertight. I don't mind its slower speed because surely touring is about seeing things along the way and not rushing everywhere.

It's brakes probably couldn't cope with a big increase in speed either! I think my husband is so used to driving a car all week that he expects the same performance from the van. ;-)

Guest Tracker
josie gibblebucket - 2009-10-01 10:24 AM

I think my husband is so used to driving a car all week that he expects the same performance from the van. ;-)

This philosophy applies to most of us when we first get into a van but soon changes to more relaxed attitude when one just learns to live with and even enjoy the limitations of performance.

Most, but not all, other road users tend not to see us as a 'threat' to 'their' bit of road and provided we drive responsibly and allow them to pass when safe proceeding at a leisurely pace even becomes enjoyable as there is time to watch the world gliding by from our lofty perches!

josie gibblebucket - 2009-10-01 10:24 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2009-10-01 9:41 AM

Don't tempt me :D :D

Re the van, I suppose we just have to accept that its an old fashioned engine, and lets be honest, you can forgive a vehicle a lot of things if it is reliable and watertight. I don't mind its slower speed because surely touring is about seeing things along the way and not rushing everywhere.

It's brakes probably couldn't cope with a big increase in speed either! I think my husband is so used to driving a car all week that he expects the same performance from the van. ;-)

I'm a bit surprised that you find your Peugeot lacks top speed, we used to run a Talbot Express with the 2.0 litre petrol lump dragging a small coachbuilt around and although acceleration was leisurely and hill climbing could be tedious it could fly on the flat. We used to cruise at 60MPH with no trouble and on odd occasions, when I felt it necessary, if I planted my right foot it could easily go above the national limit.

D.

Mel B - 2009-10-01 6:56 PM

Spec savers for you Dave or a new speedo for the van! 8-) :D ;-)

Not sure what you mean Mel, our Highwayman was easily capable of exceeding the national speed limit both on the speedo and on the sat nav speed readout. The 2.0 litre petrol engine was a good little unit giving about 84 BHP max in standard form on carburettor. Low down torque was always a bit uninspiring though which gave rise to the lack-lustre acceleration.

D.

davenewell@home - 2009-10-01 6:43 PM

I'm a bit surprised that you find your Peugeot lacks top speed, we used to run a Talbot Express with the 2.0 litre petrol lump dragging a small coachbuilt around and although acceleration was leisurely and hill climbing could be tedious it could fly on the flat. We used to cruise at 60MPH with no trouble and on odd occasions, when I felt it necessary, if I planted my right foot it could easily go above the national limit.

D.

Hi Dave, my dad used to have an old Talbot before he got his Topaz. He says the same as you, that it was quite nippy and is very surprised that ours is sluggish. Presumably its the same engine. It doesn't smoke or anything and has been well maintained. Maybe there is something that can be adjusted?

Hi Josie,

Your Boxer petrol engine should develop around 110 hp at 5500rpm ( 4000 for a diesel) and go quite well if running properly but it needs to rev more than a diesel ( max torque ( pulling power )) is at 3400 rpm compared with 2250 rpm for a diesel.

Try the most basic tune up. Check that there are no carpets under the accelerator pedal.

Then get someone to check the accelerator actually opens the throttle itself. Its a fuel injected unit with a with computerised engine management system with little scope for DIY.

Has it been well maintained witha service record . It might be something simple like a clogged air or fuel filter.

Guest Tracker

Having had a couple of 2.0 petrol engined Talismans - or is that Talismen - a few years back I found the performance and noise levels, as one would expect with a newer motor, to be much better than the previous 1.9 Peugeot Talbot petrol engine and certainly on a par for performance with the later 2.0 hdi engine found in many later small coachbuilts.

Economy of the 2.0 petrol was quite fair at around 22 - 24 mpg but not as good as the 27 - 29 from the hdi - but then the petrol engined van was a bit quieter and a heck of a lot less expensive to buy - which if your milegae is small is a factor worth considering.

davenewell@home - 2009-10-01 7:59 PM

Not sure what you mean Mel, our Highwayman was easily capable of exceeding the national speed limit both on the speedo and on the sat nav speed readout. The 2.0 litre petrol engine was a good little unit giving about 84 BHP max in standard form on carburettor. Low down torque was always a bit uninspiring though which gave rise to the lack-lustre acceleration.

D.

You still need Spec savers Dave ... you missed the: ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) :D

Mel B - 2009-10-02 7:55 PM

davenewell@home - 2009-10-01 7:59 PM

D.

You still need Spec savers Dave ... you missed the: ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) :D

No Mel, I saw the smiley but I still don't get the reference to Specsavers, probably me being dense again :-( .

D.

Archived