Any Recent "Brownhill" Experiences?

Vernon B

Guest Tracker

It is good to see a positive feedback on Brownhills - but, and it is a big but, this does not relate to the main Newark site.

So are there any more satisfied Brownhills Newark customers out there to help provide a balanced view?

RupertGS - 2009-10-02 10:12 AM
JudgeMental - 2009-10-02 10:01 AM
Vernon B - 2009-10-02 9:05 AM Thanks for all the well intentioned, but conflicting, opinions folks. What with this and the "judder" shudder I think I'll just give up and go on a cruise! Will the last person to leave please switch the lights off. V
Seeing as we live in probably the most motorhome unfriendly country in Europe and the state of the pound against the euro, I think i'll go for a cruise as well. Have been on one to the Caribbean in 2007 and probably the best holiday we have had.

That's worth knowing if ever I need a complete break. I'm not old enough to go cruising yet but it sounds great for when I am. :-D

And I thought you went "cruising" every saturday night.....you old queen. (lol) :D

Rapido-lass - 2009-10-02 8:31 AM

Hi Phill, as this seems pointed at me, I can assure you it is because of the utterly disgusting way that brownhills treated us and dealt with our last purchase of motorhome etc, that I feel justified in making the comments. We bought more than one motorhome from them, and because they were ok the first time when we bought a second hand motorhome, we thought we could rely on them when buying a new one - wrong.

Hi,

no i was not pointing at anybody, as you have bought from brownhills, i would value your comments, i just feel people who have not had dealings with brownhills are bashing them unfairly.

I shall refrain from giving details of my 'Brownhills experiences' (with the 'old firm') as the thread will get pulled if I do!

Whether the new lot are any better I do not know - whether I am assured/sane/daft/stupid enough (delete as you feel appropriate) to go there again, you decide!

:D

Visited Newark this week. Told by two different people that they were looking around in the jobs market as they could't see the firm surviving if things didn't pick up. I don't know wether this is the case or not but it does make you wonder about warranty work etc..

I hope they survive as it is nice to pop in when travelling past although buying a new van from them at the moment could be a bit risky. Sadly I don't buy anything from them now, [except a coffee in their cafe occaisionaly] after a poor service experience and a less than desireable attitude from the new regime. Still I hope they keep going as more competion the better.

Went to my local Brownhills only last weekend and what a shock. On previous occasions there vehicle park was full of different make/model 'New' vans. Once through the gate the Sales folk were soon on your case. However, it was like walking around an almost empty car park, talk about wide open spaces ! There was one salesman that we could see and he was pottering around in one of the vans, didn't even acknowledge us let alone speak. Their Accessories shop is a wasteground and I would be reluctant to part with any money or my vehicle in case the worst case scenario happened (again), in my opinion things do not look good :-(

Just had a meeting tonight at Halifax building society and we mentioned that we had a motorhome. The chap said he'd had a few people come into see him enquiring about opening accounts as they'd been contacted by Brownhills at Newark to see if they would 'sell' them their van's as they had a shortage (the chap mentioned their site specifically). I knew there was a shortage of good second hand motorhomes but it must be quite bad for them to be ringing round what appear to be former customers! I have no reason to doubt what he told me ... has anyone been contacted by them, or any other companies for that matter? :-S

I think I'm correct in saying that Browhills has been acquired by a Private Equity Company. These organisations are in business to sort out a failing business and sell it on for a profit within 2 or 3 years. Converting stock into cash and selling off "non-core" activities - like repairs and service - are all part and parcel of what they do; but so is creating a viable on-going business.

If I am right, then what several people have witnessed may actually be the start of sorting things out. But, and this is a big but, it doesn't look good if the situation hasn't been explained to the staff. It will be interesting to hear what the Brownhills sales team have to say about things next week at the NEC

V

Mel B - 2009-10-06 9:01 PM Just had a meeting tonight at Halifax building society and we mentioned that we had a motorhome. The chap said he'd had a few people come into see him enquiring about opening accounts as they'd been contacted by Brownhills at Newark to see if they would 'sell' them their van's as they had a shortage (the chap mentioned their site specifically). I knew there was a shortage of good second hand motorhomes but it must be quite bad for them to be ringing round what appear to be former customers! I have no reason to doubt what he told me ... has anyone been contacted by them, or any other companies for that matter? :-S

Hi Mel

Have had 2 texts from them now to say that they have a very good deal for my van. Number given was both a mobile & the Newark main number.

Needless to say, I've not replied.

Thai

Hi.ALL we were there this week over nite and it`s not looking good only saw 3 new reg motor homes,and last time we were there it was full,i think it`s all over now or it will be!.

I hope not as you do get free dinks at the shows.

phil - 2009-10-03 3:18 PM

Rapido-lass - 2009-10-02 8:31 AM

Hi Phill, as this seems pointed at me, I can assure you it is because of the utterly disgusting way that brownhills treated us and dealt with our last purchase of motorhome etc, that I feel justified in making the comments. We bought more than one motorhome from them, and because they were ok the first time when we bought a second hand motorhome, we thought we could rely on them when buying a new one - wrong.

Hi,

no i was not pointing at anybody, as you have bought from brownhills, i would value your comments, i just feel people who have not had dealings with brownhills are bashing them unfairly.

Hi Phil,

Ok, I see what you were meaning, and it's a fair point that people who are just expressing an opinion rather than based on experience.

caljoe - 2009-10-07 7:30 PM

,i think it`s all over now or it will be!.

I hope not as you do get free dinks at the shows.

And biscuits if you're lucky :-> ... the days of the 'buns' have long gone I think! :-(

Thai - was the offer a good one? 8-)

Mel B - 2009-10-08 5:56 PM
caljoe - 2009-10-07 7:30 PM ,i think it`s all over now or it will be!. I hope not as you do get free dinks at the shows.
   :-( Thai - was the offer a good one? 8-)

Mel

I don't know as I never responded even out of curiosity.

Unusual for a Thai person I know. Van is not even 3 yrs old yet & happy with the layout, so i really don't want to change as yet.

Going by past comments from others I don't think I would get what I wanted anyway. And if I did, then the "great deal" will be loaded onto the new van, or am I being cynical?http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Thai

Around 1.00pm yesterday I rang Newark with an enquiry. The automated board gave me the options so I chose "Sales". It rang and rang and rang-no answer at all. I can only conclude that they the salesmenwere so busy booking business nobody had time to answer. I then rang back and this time I directed the automated board to put me through to service. It rang and rang and rang-again no answer. Obviously they were all busy satisfying service queries. Finally in frustration I rang back [and wondering by now if they had all packed in], I asked the automated board to put me through to the restaurant. The phone was answered on the second ring by a very helpful lady. I can only conclude nobody was eating they were all buying new vans.

Have been into Brownhills North East today for some toilet chemical - it was very quiet. An area which was previously used for new MH's was completely empty, and the number of secondhand vans had greatly reduced since my last visit a few months ago. The area of this depot is quite large which will need a healthy turnover to sustain.

We called in to Newark on the sunday of the Lincoln show and were quite shocked at the state of the vans [all the good stuff at the show?]

The worst example being a Pilot at just under £40.000 with water stains on the roof lining and a damp patch on the pull down bed ......how the heck could they expect to sell that?

Guest Tracker
mick noe - 2009-10-10 8:05 PM

We called in to Newark on the sunday of the Lincoln show and were quite shocked at the state of the vans [all the good stuff at the show?]

The worst example being a Pilot at just under £40.000 with water stains on the roof lining and a damp patch on the pull down bed ......how the heck could they expect to sell that?

ARROGANCE and DISDAIN for the customer maybe?

MY PARENTS BOUGHT A MOTORHOME FROM BROWNHILLS JUST ABOUT 18 MONTHS AGO FROM ONE OF THE SHOWS.THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY HAD A MOTORHOME FROM BROWNHILLS BUT HAD SUFFERED BAD EXPERIENCES WITH THE CUSTOMER SERVICE.THIS TIME THEY THOUGHT THINGS WOULD BE DIFFERENT,SO DECIDED TO GIVE BROWNHILLS ANOTHER CHANCE.THEY HAD PROBLEMS WITH CERTAIN THINGS NOT WORKING THE WAY THEY SHOULD ON THE VAN THAT HAD ONLY DONE 700 MILES WHEN THEY BOUGHT IT.BROWNHILLS COULD NOT HAVE BEEN LESS USEFUL,IN THE END MY PARENTS CONTACTED THE MANUFACTURE OF THE MOTORHOME IN BELGIUM THEMSELVES AND WERE OVER THE MOON WITH THE SWIFT AND PLEASANT SERVICE THAT THEY RECEIVED. SHAME BROWNHILLS COULD NOT THE MATCH THE ENDEAVOURS OF MY 70 YEAR YOUNG PARENTS.

I have been a Brownhills customer for many years, Newark branch, always enjoyed the visit.The past thre years have been very bad my own experiences, and others treated very badly.

But it was still always nice to visit the shows and enjoy the "old" Brownhills hospitality in there hospitality tent, the older lady always did her best to serve you to a decent coffee, a nice break from the show.My recent visit to the N E C, this had all changed, they had even managed to bugger the coffees up, running around like headless chickens, very sad.

on a brighter note,fingers crossed, I will be picking my new Dethleffs van up from Lowdhams next week, back into the fray.

:D :D

Archived