reversing light colour

wild rover

Pam,

Check the colour of your fog light. If it is white and your rear lens's are symmetrical you may be able to swap them over. Seen this a few times on continental vans and have often got away with this solution or a minor wiring mod.

Nick

PS It's highly likely that your headlamps are set up for continental use as well.

Hi Pam,

Reversing lights do not form part of the MOT procedure, thus your vehicle will not fail on that aspect alone.

It still needs sorting though, as the red light will not provide as much illumination to the rear, should you need it whilst reversing.If it is mixed up with the foglight, you could end up dazzling someone behind you with a white light, thinking your rear fog is on.

As stated above, the reversing lamp is not part of the MOT check. AFAIK, there is not even a legal requirement to have a reversing lamp fitted. Nevertheless, if one is fitted, it must conform to requirements. A maximum of two are allowed, they must be white in colour & must not be illuminated when moving forwards.

Unusual nowadays, as they are normally switched automatically by a gearbox switch, but if manually switched a warning lamp visible from the driver's seat is required.

The rear foglamp, however, IS checked during the MOT. It must be red in colour & fitted to the (UK) offside or centreline of the vehicle. Again, I believe a maximum of two are allowed.

Brambles - 2009-10-01 4:23 PM

offence to use at night -- thats a new one on me!! Did not know that, just assumed if visability was below 100 metres it should be switched on.

Brambles you are correct The Highway Code states

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Alf

The actual regulations, as opposed to the limited interpretation in the Highway Code , are contained in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 Part 3 Section 23 and state:

No person shall use a vehicle on which a lamp is used :

a.so as to cause dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle

b. used so as to be lit t any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility

c. used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

The act does not define seriously reduced visibility by distance, and I would suggest that (a) covers not using at night.

little-jack - 2009-10-02 8:27 PM

The actual regulations, as opposed to the limited interpretation in the Highway Code , are contained in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 Part 3 Section 23 and state:

No person shall use a vehicle on which a lamp is used :

a.so as to cause dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle

b. used so as to be lit t any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility

c. used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

The act does not define seriously reduced visibility by distance, and I would suggest that (a) covers not using at night.

A similar statement applies to the use of headlights.

(a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

Therfore I can only assume it is against the law as far as I know to use headlights at night.

Sorry if a bit sarcastic in my reply.

little-jack - 2009-10-02 10:20 PM

why talk nonsense about a serious matter - or are you one of the inconsiderate motorists that btive with all lights blazing at night?

Lets get one thing straight right now Little Jack. I do not talk nonsense, I check my facts. You made the statement implying it was against the law to use rear fog lights at night. This is NOT the case. FACT.

You have said this is a serious issue and yet you are misleading readers yourself.

If you must know I certainly do put my fog light on at night in bad fog, I judge the conditions by how well I can see in front and if a car appears behind me and can obviously see my normal tail lights I switch the fog light off.

This is in the spirit of the regulations and what I do. If you cannot accept you made a mistake that is your problem not mine.

To suggest I am one of the inconsiderate motorists who drive with all lights blazing when you have no idea who I am or what I do is a bit presumptious I would have thought.

Jon.

Pam,

If your revesring light is showing red and not white, that is not a reason a vehicle would fail the test. They may mention it if as an advisory note if they notice it as they probbaly will as when testing the other lights they will engage reverse gear to make sure the action does not affect the other lights operating correctly.

As mentioned above, it could be your two light fittings have beem crossed over. However the Red fog light does need to be on the Offside of the vehicle if fitted as part of the light clusters. Alternatvely it may be possible the wires are crossed and suggest you try the fog light and check which lights come on. You will probably need to switch your headlights on for the fog light to operate.

Jon.

tamworthkamper - 2009-10-04 11:14 PM

It may not be mot but if you get a jobs worth policeman it would be 3 points for each light that is incorrect or not working .The price of a new lense ev en with labour charges would be cheaper.

This is not the case at all. The police if anything would issue you with notice (not sure of the correct terminology) and you would have so many days to get the lights checked at an MOT station for either being rectified or no actual fault.

Archived