Hitching up

bjphillips

bjphillips - 2009-09-30 9:10 PM

Just wondering how much interest there is for an inexpenive accessory to enable one to hitch up the caravan or trailer WITHOUT the help of the wife or any other person, to be able to position correctly & simply lower onto the ball ????????

Amazing no response!!! I expect every one can do it spot on blindfolded on their own then??

I used to have one called "Hitch Maid" which had a pole clipped to the towball and one on the hitch head (non-stabiliser). It worked very well. I have also seen ones with magnets and also a stick on mirror.

None were big sellers - that's probably why you rarely see them.

I don't mean to be negative but it's not easy marketing new kit.

Good luck

Mike

Guest Tracker

My Dad used to use an old tin can cut to fit over the car tow ball and with a long enough to see in the mirror length of thin cane attached which he used to align spot on with a similar gadget attached to the caravan towhitch.

When the two collided and one was pushed slightly off centre - job done! Simples!

A bit Fred Carno - so that's where I learnt it from - but it worked very well as my Mum always struggled with her lefts and rights when not facing the same way as Dad!

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be honest about this ,I was really testing the the reaction to such a product that may be on the market soon but didnt get any sensible responce to it.It does amaze me that people spend up to about £58000 on a motorhome or caravan then penny pinch about every thing they spend on it from then on.I spent quite a bit on this idea but wonder whether it'll be worth spending more to get it on the market when a cane & a tin can seems to be an alternative!!!! although Ive yet to see anyone using this method. >:-(

bjphillips - 2009-10-18 9:27 PM

I'll be honest about this ,I was really testing the the reaction to such a product that may be on the market soon but didnt get any sensible responce to it.It does amaze me that people spend up to about £58000 on a motorhome or caravan then penny pinch about every thing they spend on it from then on.I spent quite a bit on this idea but wonder whether it'll be worth spending more to get it on the market when a cane & a tin can seems to be an alternative!!!! although Ive yet to see anyone using this method. >:-(

As an ex-tugger I think that this is more a caravan accessory than a motorhome one. Most rear windows on motorhomes are too far away from the driver to be able to utilise this sort of thing and again a lot of them have rearview cameras or a partner thats says "just a bit to the left/right/back/forward" etc. I don't know whether other motorhomers agree or not. Our van has a rear garage and no back window but we do have a rearview camera.

bjphillips - 2009-10-18 8:27 PM

Its sad that you rubbish those who did help you in your quest for info.

I am certain many of us spending at the levels you quote don't penny pinch on our "toys"; might be very different for the bargain basement camper but then by definition they are not into spending.

However you have tested the reaction to such a product and far from deriding the response as not sensible, it might be wiser to take note of it.

Returning to the need then the market is already served but like you I now see few people using what is available; surely a message there?

Far from "not being a sensible answer", if you think about it the ability to use the "mover" is the "death knell" to yours and other products as far as caravans are concerned. Most lone campers need the mover anyway either at home or to retain independence and so have no call for your device; a widower colleague who did have a rod based aid junked it when getting a mover. Those with "directionally challenged" partners would be in desperate need of the mover at home as well!

Hope this helps in your quest to identify the extent of your market, Ocsid

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldnt say I rubbished the replies I said I was dissapointed with the response.I was trying to get some sensible reaction to an idea.Secondly I didnt say "toys" I said that some spend a fortune on their motorhomes then pennypinch after,you only have to read some of the moans on the forum to see that.AS regards your comment on the "mover", the idea I have in mind is not to replace that .that has a specific use such as to get the caravan onto the drive if one has a particularly tricky one.Im pretty sure their isnt many who would take it with them every time they go away.My idea is soley to enable anyone to hitch up easily wherever they are as I already do myself on my own.It will cost a fraction of the price of a mover .It isnt magnets ,rubber bands ,sticks etc but a proper manufactured component thats easily carried in the car glovebox .nuff said. >:-)

bjphillips - 2009-11-02 9:21 PM

I wouldnt say I rubbished the replies I said I was dissapointed with the response.I was trying to get some sensible reaction to an idea.Secondly I didnt say "toys" I said that some spend a fortune on their motorhomes then pennypinch after,you only have to read some of the moans on the forum to see that.AS regards your comment on the "mover", the idea I have in mind is not to replace that .that has a specific use such as to get the caravan onto the drive if one has a particularly tricky one.Im pretty sure their isnt many who would take it with them every time they go away.My idea is soley to enable anyone to hitch up easily wherever they are as I already do myself on my own.It will cost a fraction of the price of a mover .It isnt magnets ,rubber bands ,sticks etc but a proper manufactured component thats easily carried in the car glovebox .nuff said. >:-)

I am somewhat puzzled by your comments about caravan movers. I would have thought that 95% of caravan movers are now actually fixed to the caravan chassis so you have no option but to take them with you :-S

David

You actually said:

"I'll be honest about this ,I was really testing the the reaction to such a product that may be on the market soon but didnt get any sensible responce to it."

No where did you say "disappointed" and the contributors did give you very "sensible responses". I tried to give you a constructive, if not a blindly supportive view as I feel the evidence is not there for the need of the product you have, however smart or cheap it might be.

Like David I am at a loss to understand that when having a mover you think we would not use it to couple up; on some belief that it is "specific" only for getting the van onto or even off of the drive. I even told you of a case where somebody I know with a good hitching aid junked it when acquiring a mover; it simply was no longer needed, there was a better way.

If further evidence is needed Al-Ko used to market a coupling winch for drawing the van onto the hitch. I don't see this in their current range, never saw one on site being used and only ever saw it in an accessory shop.

Another plus with fitted movers is that you don't have to revers the car, or push the caravan.

All you have to do is press a couple of buttons on a remote control & the caravan drives itself onto the tow ball.

Unfortunately lowering the jockey wheel is manual :'(

edited to say the reason most of us have movers fitted is that it saves any manhandling of the caravan,

• 3 weeks later...
Inside the door of my front/gas locker I have a mirror that I fitted at the angle which when open fully, shows me the caravan hitch plus the approaching car hitch. When I got used to using it all is on view in the car rear view mirror, eezee peezee...............

Archived