Planning trip to the Algarve

Bojitoes

Hi All

Just back from a few weeks in France, our first trip overseas and, but for some lunatic local camping car driver knocking off our nearside wing mirror, very enjoyable. (Thanks to the couple in the Rapido for their help at Cite Europe!)

Now looking to go to the Algarve in Jan / Feb. Any help on route and campsites en route which open throughout the winter much appreciated.Dont want to do more than 250 miles per day and, as I suffer with vertigo, would like to avoid any long, high bridges!!

Thanks

Bob

We will be there at the same time. My search for information was done mainly with www.eurocampings.co.uk as their web site has far more sites listed than the ACSI book. Also used google earth using the coordinates given for each site. This is an excellent way to see where the sites are in relation to their surroundings, close to town, in the hills etc. Just make sure you use the same metric degrees on googkle earth as the web site. You may have to go into "options" and change the "show lat/long" to decimal degrees.

You will be hooked for hours. You never know we may bump into each other so feel free to pm me with your details.

Roy Fuller

Guest JudgeMental

what kind of weather can you expect in the Algarve in Jan/Feb?

is it a better destination then Spain do you think? As I may wait till the new year for a winter trip.........

Judge

Portugal will be not quite as warm and much windier than south/south eastern Spain but still comfortable south of Lisbon.

Bojitoes

The quickest route is through northern Spain on the motorway - Burgos, Salamanca, Coimbra, San Pedro de Moel, Lisbon (unless someone knows better!). All the Orbitur campsites will be open and there are more wild camping spots in Portugal than Spain - try the beachside road opposite Vila Nova del Milfontes and the bus park at Sagres

Peter

Archived