Suggestions please

Tailendcharley

Hopesy - 2009-10-02 9:21 AM

Used AVG for about 5 years now on PC and laptop and (touching wood) no problems so far.

I've been using the free version of AVG for a few years,but since the latest update (version 9) my computers were running very slow.

Have now taken in it off and am going to PC World today to get Kaspersky on offer for £24.99.

It's the old story I suppose but this obsession with getting things free of charge surprises me.

We're talking about protecting a product on which we may have the most sensitive information, that could have cost hundreds of pounds, and is often essential in running our modern lives.

The originator of this post tells us that he's had to dump a laptop that wasn't properly protected and still wants to protect his new one for nothing. Having suffered a catastrophe such as this I would have thought that a lesson would have been learned!

I've used AVG for some years, but the better, paid for, version and never had a problem and it has never affected my PC's speed.

I've just renewed for two years at a cost of £15 per year. The better version protects against rootkits, which are insidious hidden threats and it also has a webshield to protect against malicious websites. There's also technical support, which is not available with the free one.

I think that first time users will pay a little more at £20 per year but, when you renew, the price comes down.

Is £20 a year really too much to ask for insuring ourselves against our computer being invaded and possibly made unusable?

Guest Tracker

AVG 8.5 free version works for us too, along with Zone Alarm , AdAware and Spyware Blaster and with the added support of MalwareBytes and CCleaner - all free - to just clean up and nasties that might get through - not that any have of late.

That said if one is unsure or lacking in faith of the free products the Full AVG bought version is probably as good as any and better than a lot.

Tailendcharley - 2009-10-02 8:03 AM :-D :-D Anyone suggest a good,reliable free virus protection download please. :-D I've just recently been infected and had to dump my old laptop 8-) I should have known better *-) oh well,we all learn (lol) Regards Smithy :-S :-S

Can you tell us what virus protection you had on your old laptop?

All anti-virus and other such software is only as good as the updates ....

We use McAfee as we get it free from work which is really good. There's also free stuff such as Avast, AVG (already mentioned), Spybot, Crap Cleaner, Malwarebytes - this is really good for getting rid of rubbish, lots of free registry cleaners too.

Rupert - you really need to keep in check this 'obsession' of yours to criticise people about getting stuff for free! There's nothing wrong with getting what you want for nothing - if it's out there and it's what you want then why pay? If there's no need to pay for it, why do so? It doesn't mean the free stuff is of any less quality than the paid for stuff - there's a lot of free stuff out there just as good, if not better, than some of the 'paid' for anti-virus etc software. If paying for it makes you feel better then so be it, you do what you need to, but I can't see the need personally, however, if there's stuff we feel the need to pay for to get what we want, then we do so.

Tailendcharley - 2009-10-02 8:03 AM

:-D :-D

Anyone suggest a good,reliable free virus protection download please. :-D

I've just recently been infected and had to dump my old laptop 8-)

I should have known better *-) oh well,we all learn (lol)

Regards

Smithy :-S :-S

Hi Charlie

What happened exactly to your laptop ... it might not be terminal! My hubby's quite the computer whizz and we're not a million miles away from you .... :-D

Avira is certainly one of the best and if used in conjunction with a good firewall such as Zone Alarm will give very good protection.

antimalwarebytes is also very useful to get rid of most other nasties that are lurking around ready to pounce on the unwary.

All these programs must be updated regularly to remain effective.

Phil.

Avira is certainly one of the best and if used in conjunction with a good firewall such as Zone Alarm will give very good protection.

antimalwarebytes is also very useful to get rid of most other nasties that are lurking around ready to pounce on the unwary.

All these programs must be updated regularly to remain effective.

Phil.

Check the computor mag websites you will find 'group tests' in most of these the free version of AVG beats most of the other paid AV's.

You might also like to read this http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/interviews/352018/microsoft-free-security-essentials-is-a-threat-to-symantec

p.s. I use AVG free, pctools firewall, and spybot. these provide the security I want in realtime, plus I have a hardware firewall and do weekly scans with malwarebytes, adaware, and pcpro online AV.

I am one of those people who thinks that anything that looks too good to be true, probably is.

That's one reason that I'm wary of 'free' downloads of anything, especially when it comes to computer security.

Why would anyone give away free security software ? What's in it for them ? ...and in most cases, who are they ?

I can understand Microsoft doing it, simply as an add on to their own products, but most of the other names mentioned, I've never heard of.

(They might even be coming from a shed at the bottom of a garden in Uzbekistan ).

;-)

:-(

Advertising space - they will get commmission from advertising revenue and also from sales resulted from 'clicks' off their site if you buy something.

Future sales - as you have to visit their site to download the free stuff, you might just buy some other goddies from them too - if they do other software that is charged for (which you can't get for free), and you've found the free stuff good, you're more likely to buy from them in the future.

Don't be so sceptical Malc! :-D

Guest Tracker
It also helps them to sell it to the big corporate users, and that is where the real money is in software, if they can say that they have umpteen million users out there in the real world all feeding back their problems and experiences - often whether we want to or not - think of the confidence that would inspire if you were a software security system buyer?

Mel B - 2009-10-03 8:37 PM

Advertising space - they will get commmission from advertising revenue and also from sales resulted from 'clicks' off their site if you buy something.

Future sales - as you have to visit their site to download the free stuff, you might just buy some other goddies from them too - if they do other software that is charged for (which you can't get for free), and you've found the free stuff good, you're more likely to buy from them in the future.

Don't be so sceptical Malc! :-D

My scepticism goes back to the early days of the internet. I was sent on a course as an introduction to what it was all about.

Our instructor impressed on us that you can never be absolutely sure who you are in touch with, on the net, or by e-mail.

Mind you that bloke in Nigeria today, who wants me to help him out with his millions seems genuine.

;-) ;-)

J9withdogs - 2009-10-02 9:30 AM

Hopesy - 2009-10-02 9:21 AM

Used AVG for about 5 years now on PC and laptop and (touching wood) no problems so far.

I've been using the free version of AVG for a few years,but since the latest update (version 9) my computers were running very slow.

Have now taken in it off and am going to PC World today to get Kaspersky on offer for £24.99.

I have Kasperskye Jan I downloaded it or should I say my O.H. did and I was able to install it on my laptop as well, its good but I liked my last one Bullgaurd better. I dont trust the free ones the last time I tried I messed up and caused more problems!!

Archived