Swapping Oyster from Van to Van

whisturx

Can anyone recommend a company within reasonable distance from Devizes in Wiltshire who will remove an Oyster satellite system and replace on a new van early next year ?

I am selling my Hobby and an interested party wants the lowest price and not interested in the satellite.

I know Robert Jackson who fitted it will do it for circa £400 but his travelling time for two trips is £400 per trip.

If pushed will have to go to Wakefield but just wondered if anyone could recommend someone closer ?

Hi,

When I had my Oyster fitted by Transleisure I asked about transfer van to van and was told I could easily do the removal myself by un bolting the dish mounting from the roof. I would have to leave the cable through the roof to avoid leaks as a DIY job but new cables are readily available. The rest of the kit is easily removed so for the price of a new cable I'd be quite happy to go this route. I would personally have a professional refit and if I didn't travel so far south I would nowadays go for the Camos as it is unaffected be strong winds, my 85cm Oyster can cause concerns in anything above a force 4 (17 knotts)

Bill Ord

Guest JudgeMental
I agree with Bill, but if you dont feel capable yourself find someone local to do it. a handy man or auto electrican, anyone really.......... But its not really a pro job to remove it? So why pay pro job rates?

Hi Ian

It is not a big job swapping but you will need the kit to do it and that is both the multi core cable and a new plate for the roof. the plate is stuck to the roof and has 4 mounting bolts to accept the body of the oyster. I understand the kit costs about £80 and armed with a tube of Sikaflex it is not beyond the skills of a decent DIYer.

One tip: As you are buying the new Frankia I would mount the dish within easy reach of the Heki over the lounge. That way you can reach up to adjust the LNB should you travel to Portugal or for that matter to the east of Germany. Just make sure it does not foul the Heki on it's travel.

Nice meeting you and Linda in Germany - Happy motoring.

Archived