parking nec

hymer1942

Guest Tracker

There was quite a long thread on this very topic recently and a search should pull it up for you.

Show car parks are generally day only with no overnighting allowed unless 'organised' and scandalously highly charged for what is often a very noisy night by one of the major clubs - you know the ones - they exist solely for the benefit of their members and run these sites with volunteers to keep costs down!

Maybe that's a good idea if your driving is as good as your English

From the dictionary

—Idiom6. set or put on a pedestal, to glorify; idealize:

In short to make this easy for you, I was being appreciative of your Hymer !!

Cor blimey sum people Ned

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Tracker
You will have to make allowances Barrie - after all if poor old Ned really does have a Swift you can't blame him for being envious now can you!

err sorry not a clue what you are on about.

I gave you some advice about the parking and said how wonderful a Hymer is (idealize etc etc)

and then you thanked everyone but me!

Cool yer jets - unprevoked attack, I was only trying to help !

Still laughing Ned, saving up for the Hymer actually

(lol)

trickydicky - 2009-10-05 6:46 PM

we're going to the nec but can't find any room at a campsite nearby......so we are going to try to park at the birmingham truck stop....don't know if they allow motorhomes.....anybody tried it before.we really want to go for 3 days so we need somewhere to overnight.

Caravan Club are still offering pitches Mon-Thu or Sun, nothing left for Friday or saturday though.

hymer1942 - 2009-10-05 5:59 PM

I will leave it there, you are not a full shilling.

When I first read Ned's comment I did think he was being a little sarcastic, although I do not believe that there was anything malicious intended, hence his 2 smiley faces. The topic of immotive Emails has been discussed many times on this forum, the fact that you cannot actually see or hear the person making the comments is one of the reaons for having these 'Emoticons' so that you can see if a comment is meant as tongue in cheek. Obviously the emoticons were disregarded and the reader took exception to the intended freindly jibe, hey ho, that's life

:-S By the way, I also own a Swift but did not take exception to any of the comments ;-)

Guest Tracker

Sorry to hear that you too have a Swift Eric and I do hope that yours is one of the better made and better behaved older versions - but not too old as they all leaked badly!

Still at least you can probably still get parts for yours which is more than can be said for our 3 year old Autocruise which - thanks to Swift's takeover - parts are no longer available.

Never mind eh - we do have the satisfaction of knowing that ours is better built and sturdier than their newer vans labelled Autocruise - and it will smoothly reverse anywhere!

For parking near the NEC maybe one could consider a Pub where if one buys a meal they will let you stay in the car park overnight? Not perfect but maube better than a lorry park?

http://www.motorhomestopover.co.uk/

is a network of pubs that allow stopovers without the compulsion of buying anything - although we generally do go in to be sociable, but there is an annual subscription to pay which at £30 is a little on the steep side in my view. Nevertheless we find the locations generally convenient and quiet as long as you choose carefully and stay out of town centres.

Tracker - 2009-10-05 7:23 PM

Sorry to hear that you too have a Swift Eric and I do hope that yours is one of the better made and better behaved older versions - but not too old as they all leaked badly!

I have never had cause to be sorry since I bought it 5 years ago. No mechanical or bodywork problems in fact just fantastic touring. However, am now looking to purchase what may end up being our last new van (Retirement still a long way off but whilst we are both still working and can afford finance :-S ). OH wants Island Bed so have looked at all models available, came down to 2 finalists, Swift 669 and Auto-Trail Comanche (Cheyenne but given Frontier status). Went to malvern show on Saturday and Comanche won hands down. Swift have made some really stupid changes that affect the livability, the Commanche is well laid out and would serve as a 'full or long term' vehicle. With all the extra's we want (and yes I am finally going to get my Gaslow system) this is our perfect van. Unfortunately, unable to do a deal at the show so am going to NEC to try and get someone to sell me my dream van and give me a 'reasonable' PX on my Kon Tiki :D :D

Guest Tracker

Good luck Eric - I too reckon that of all the UK built vans Auto Trail are arguably one of the better at the moment.

At five years old yours is one from the better era at Swift when, like many UK vans they were, in my view, much more solid and better made than they are now and more reliable than they had been before.

No doubt you are familiar with the gearbox issues but if it were my money and it had to be a FIAT I would opt for the 3.0 ltr comfortmatic.

Whatever you go for I sincerely hope that it gives you many years of reliable and trouble free exploring pleasure - just like the wife (I hope)!

Yup going for the Comformatic gearbox, there were three separate articles in one M/Home magazine this month and they all sang the praises of the FIAT Comformatic gearbox.

Must admit, the 04 Swift kontiki was well built and solid and I really was hankering after the new 669. But it just did not come up to the mark, more in layout than build quality to be honest but it is all about getting the balance and Swift have got it wrong this time, in my opinion that is :D

I always considered Auto-trail to be No.2 (funny old thing my very first van was an Auto trail Cheyenne) and have to admit that the finish does not look as solid as the Swift but you cannot have everything. The Comanche is (with my full list of 'Lifestyle' extras) the perfect van for layout and comfort. The space internally and externally is amazing and with the 85w solar panel fitted as standard it makes it a versatile unit to use hook-up or not. As I do not think that there will be another then this has to have everything and it will :D :D

I am going to purchase the van the question is which dealer will supply it for me ?

Big Momma - 2009-10-05 9:57 PM

Yup going for the Comformatic gearbox, there were three separate articles in one M/Home magazine this month and they all sang the praises of the FIAT Comformatic gearbox.

Lets hope it's been researched this time! Before andy started the judder thread every mag, article and test told us how good the x250 was.

Anyone know when the CC 'day' is so I can avoid the crush.

Archived