fiat wipers

Guest p.t.phillips

Guest p.t.phillips
fiat ducato wiper overtravel.....does anybody have any info on ths subject as fiat apparently has never heard of any problems...are there any cures??

Guest Brian Kirby
It might help if you gave a bit more description of the overtravel, and the age of the Ducato. Do the wipers go too far both ways, or only one way, for example? Did this start suddenly, or creep up gradually? Do you switch off the engine with the wipers still going, or switch off the wipers first? If the former, have you started the vehicle with the wipers half up the screen, but frozen on? Brian

Guest p.t.phillips
thanks brian...2005 2.3 jtd...the problem started on my way through france this winter. dealer has replaced linkage etc but problem still exists...not when vehicle is stationary..the faster i go the worse they go past right hand side drivers pillar...when stopped the do not even reach the pillar and cannot be forced over by hand. i am sure that i have read or heard about this problem...fiat suggests that the effects of the overcab may be the cause ???

Guest Brian Kirby
Did the dealer replace the motor and/or wiper gearbox at the same time? I don't know how the Fiat wiper drives are arranged, but control of the swept area is normally from within the wiper gearbox via an oscillating rod attached to the drive cable or rigid links. It's a bit like a steam locomotive piston link in reverse. In the case of the wipers the wheel is driven round and round by the wiper motor, and the link or cable attached converts the rotation into recriprocation. That drives the wipers. It sounds to me a bit as though the gearbox, the motor or the attachment of the rack or linkages is loose somewhere, so allowing inertia of the blades to overcome the normal stopping point for their travel. The blades and arms are quite heavy, so they'll exert quite a force as their direction of travel is reversed at the end of each sweep. Try them on a wet screen at max speed (wipers, not Ducato!) with your head under the bonnet and see if you can see or hear any movement or unusual clonking. You may have to run the engine to get the wipers up to full pelt, so take care for the cooling fan and drive belts etc. At least, take your tie off :-) Brian

Archived