Somport Tunnel

4petedaniel

Has any one used the Somport Tunnel resently Between Pau France And Husca Spain I plan to go that way in the next few weeks and would like to know what the conditions are like. I came back that way in March and it was so bad Snow wind & Ice that I am a concerned if I should give it a miss and take the longer coast route this time.

Guest JudgeMental
Sorry cant help with the question Pete, but where are you heading? as thinking of a winter trip to spain as well but have never done it before......

Hi Judge We go every year to the Costa Blanca I find that is more than far enough by the time I have driven 2000 Kilometers I start thinking about the return drive.

The last two years the weather has been disapointing untill I see the reports in the press about the weather in the uk.

Guest JudgeMental

is that the Valencia region? How long do you go for and have you any site recommendations please? I was thinking of driving down the west coast of france.....

Has any one used the Somport Tunnel recently! Conditions please :-D

Valencia and Alicante Regions We normaly stay untill the Spring comes around But this year I think we should have stayed a lot longer as the journey back was a nightmare. IE the reason for my Quetion.

Info on sites really depends on what you are looking for, we meet a lot of campers who make for Benidorm and stay there all winter. infact I know a few who leave the campers there all year and go back for a few weeks in the summer as well as spending most of the winter there. The longer you stay on site in Spain really reduces the weekly site fees.

We like a short time in Benidorm. but not too long>. The Mar Menor regon is one of our favourit destinations. Great Sites But expencive for short stays. Two years ago found a free site on the beach there but had to leave when batteries gave out. which is the reason I have fitted a 100 watt solar Panel. to my camper.

The west coast trip realy depends where you cross over. From Dover it adds a lot of kilometers but it is very interesting.

We now go down the N10

We came through the SOMPORT Tunnel 7th April this year,the climb up on the Spanish side is steady and no problem.We were amazed at the amount of snow on the French side,we drove down from the tunnel for about 4 miles before we were clear of the snow line, the roads were clear and no problem.We carried on to a town called [ on route ] OROLON ST MARIE ,I think it's new as it was not in our books, it was free to use ,paying only for services. Oloron is a lovely town with a rushing river [ snow melt ] The drive down from the Tunnel on the French side is steeper than the Spanish side but easy if you concentrate.and the town and Aire are well worth a stop over, which we did for two nights.

:-o :-o :-o

We left TAVERNES in Spain about 9am and drove via MONTANEJOS in the Spanish mountains , there are hot springs there and well worth a visit and a wild swim in the warm waters, we drove on to TERUEL an easy drive after our sightseeing and spent the night here, there is a large sports stadium and nearby large supermarket sharing almost the same parking area, several vans were here for a free nights stopover,and we did the same,very quiet and a good chance to refill with diesel ,stock up with food and I was also able to change my Spanish Gas bottle for a full one at the Supermarket petrol station. So TERUEL for a free stopover before the SOMPORT TUNNEL is what I am trying to say . *-) *-)

You will have no problems next week. Wintry weather rarely occurs outside Dec-March.

If you are worried, you can check the Spanish Government website.

http://www.dgt.es/portal/informacion_carreteras/incidencias.do

Go to Aragón in the pick list and click 'ir' (go).

Then click 'buscar' (search). Any road troubles will be listed.

But as I said in an earlier post, it's only 9kms more to go via Biarritz (Dunkerque-Valencia).

We used the Bielsa Tunnel two years ago January and had to use snow chains I had to drive through the tunnel with them on too as I couldn't get from the layby at the entrance to the tunnel to the tunnel mouth, I have since learned that you are not supposed to drive through the tunnel with chains on, I had no choice, the Spanish side of the tunnel was snow and ice free . :-) :-)

derek500 - 2009-10-09 4:00 PM

You will have no problems next week. Wintry weather rarely occurs outside Dec-March.

If you are worried, you can check the Spanish Government website.

http://www.dgt.es/portal/informacion_carreteras/incidencias.do

Go to Aragón in the pick list and click 'ir' (go).

Then click 'buscar' (search). Any road troubles will be listed.

But as I said in an earlier post, it's only 9kms more to go via Biarritz (Dunkerque-Valencia).

Thanks for the tip . My route takes me bye way of PAU so Biarritz is a no goer

Guest JudgeMental

So if going the west coast route via Biarritz ...where do you go fron there? st john de luz?

if you are heading to Pampalona - zarragota -valencia

JudgeMental - 2009-10-10 4:01 PM

So if going the west coast route via Biarritz ...where do you go fron there? st john de luz?

if you are heading to Pampalona - zarragota -valencia

We turn left at the roundabout on the French/Spanish border at Irun and take the N121a to Pamplona.

4petedaniel - 2009-10-12 9:54 AM

Leaving for Spain today via Somport, coming back some time next year. but I do hope that the weather is going to be a bit better than last year.

The last two weeks of September we had rain, thunder, lightning, rain and more rain!! October has been beautiful, late twenties every day and not nippy at night, yet.

Guest JudgeMental
4petedaniel - 2009-10-12 8:54 AM

Leaving for Spain today via Somport, coming back some time next year. but I do hope that the weather is going to be a bit better than last year.

Have a good trip! and keep us posted re the weather? probably heading down November myself.......

Archived