Hotmail/live e-mail accounts hacked

flicka

Found this when logging in this morning on Orange

"5 October 2009, 17:4610,000 Hotmail passwords hacked

More than 10,000 Hotmail passwords have been hacked and posted online, a technology website has reported.

Microsoft, which owns the email service, said it had not yet been able to confirm the report, but it was "actively investigating the situation".

Technology blog neowin.net reported that an anonymous user had posted the details of Windows Live Hotmail accounts on pastebin.com, a site used by developers to share code, on October 1.

Neowin administrator Tom Warren wrote on the blog: "The details have since been removed but Neowin has seen part of the list posted and can confirm the accounts are genuine and most appear to be based in Europe.

"The list details over 10,000 accounts starting from A through to B, suggesting there could be additional lists.

"Currently it appears only accounts used to access Microsoft's Windows Live Hotmail have been posted, this includes @hotmail.com, @msn.com and @live.com accounts."

The blog suggested the details were obtained through a hack or "phishing" scam, in which fake websites are used to trick people into revealing usernames, passwords and other information.

A Microsoft spokesman said: "Microsoft has been made aware of the claims that Windows Live IDs and passwords have been made available on the web.

"We're actively investigating the situation and will take appropriate steps as rapidly as possible."

Neowin recommended Windows Live Hotmail users "change your password and security question immediately".

Additional info

Hotmail users are being advised to change their passwords, after thousands of account details were posted online.

A list containing more than 10,000 apparently genuine account names and passwords was posted to a website last week, where it remained until being spotted over the weekend by Microsoft security researchers.

The list, which has been seen by the Guardian, appears to be genuine.

It only contains usernames beginning with the letters A and B, but covers accounts ending in @hotmail.com, @msn.com and @live.com - three services owned by Microsoft which have more than 280m users worldwide.

Some press reports here in Spain today have indicated that a lot of Gmail and Yahoo details were also hacked/publicised too.

Might be a good idea to change your password(s) for any and all of your email accounts, whoever the provider, NOW, just as a precaution.

My security is elerting me when I log on to my yahoo mail account,Ive changed my password but Im still getting elerts, I just keep logging off but Ive got 5 messages on there to open from contacts!! it is apparently a trojan!! not sure what to do except stay off.

From what I can gather those affected are the people who stupidly replied to a phishing email asking you to give all their login etc details including a password ... so, if you haven't done that it would appear that you are okay.

Hi Melb,

Don't believe that, I only logged on to my gmail account yesterday when everything went t##t's up, spent the rest of the day, cleaning up my computer in safe mode, removed 5 worms/Trojans, had to uninstall my fire wall and anti virus (this had been corrupted) and download a fresh version.

I logged out and disconnected my wifi as soon as i realised to prevent any spread of viruses.

All's well now, you don't have to answer a phishing email to pick up a virus, just depends on the type of hack.

Pete

Mel B - 2009-10-08 5:26 PM

From what I can gather those affected are the people who stupidly replied to a phishing email asking you to give all their login etc details including a password ... so, if you haven't done that it would appear that you are okay.

Well as I certainly havent replied to anything and would never give my log in details or password :-S that can,t be right.

maggyd - 2009-10-07 4:53 PM

My security is elerting me when I log on to my yahoo mail account,Ive changed my password but Im still getting elerts, I just keep logging off but Ive got 5 messages on there to open from contacts!! it is apparently a trojan!! not sure what to do except stay off.

Maggyd, what do you actually mean by this please? Is it that there are 'messages' in your inbox saying they are alerts? If so, just delete them and empty your bin and all should be well again, I often get daft emails like this 'pretending' to be something they are not - the latest was one supposedly from B&Q asking me to 'sign up' for vouchers etc which ultimately would no doubt then ask for my credit card etc details. As I haven't done anything to warrant B&Q contacting me (ie no store card, not filled in a survey etc) there's no way its genuine and the address the 'click here' bit took me to certainly was not B&Q!.

Same with ones supposedly from your banks etc, just let your mouse hover over the bit your supposed to 'click' on, but do NOT actually click it - when hovering it shoud show you in the bottom of your screen what web page address you would be directed to so you can see that they usually go to some really obscure site.

This isn't the same as someone actually having your log-in details though which is what all the fuss is about.

One way of getting you to inadvertently give your log-in details without realising it is for you to receive one of these hoax emails proclaiming to be from your email provider - the can be very convincing - the often try to worry you by saying something like 'your account has been compromised' so some people panic and instead of going to their email site by putting in the normal web address, instead they click on the supposed site link in the email which takes them to what they think is their account, but in fact is just a dummy site that collects their log-in and password details.

There are some absolutely nasty people out there just waiting to hijack your accounts so you do have to be on your guard when getting 'unexpected' emails.

It looks as if is sorted Mel, what was happening all of a sudden when I was logging on to my mail, my security box would pop up and warn me of a security threat, namely a trojan virus wich was linked to Internet explorer! it disapeared so fast I hardly had time to read it. Anyway I changed my password on Yahoo it popped up only once after that so I think maybe my new password hadnt yet been changed! anyway it seems alright now fingers crossed.

Archived