Insurance - it pays to ask

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Just had my Safeguard renewal arrive at a premium all in of £362.90 which showed an increase of £23.00 on last year - not too bad I thought on balance for the scope of cover plus UK & Euro breakdown, protected NCD, legal protection and unlimited Euro cover.

However I decided to politely ask if any further discounts were allowable and, for the cost of a freephone call was told that all the discounts available already applied.

However as soon as I politely mentioned getting other quotes, the very nice young lady knocked £15.00 off - jus' like that!

It pays to ask!

Vehicle insurance must be going through a price restructuring.

I have just renewed the policy on my Volvo.

Last year I could not better the renewal price or get any reduction.

This year's quote from esure £267.

Checking on www.comparethemarket.com a similar package was £198.57 from OneCall.

I phoned to check voluntary excess and other points and was told the policy was now showing at £205.

Phoned esure who instantly reduced by £30 but could not match other quotes.

Decided to go with OneCall, phoned them to place the deal and found the price was now£197.13!

Yes it pays to shop around but why does the price change when non of my details changed?

My theory is the companies have a set quota to sell each day. I did the deal at 7:30pm (lines close at 8:00pm) so perhaps they had not reached their quota for the day.

Whilst on this subject I phoned my insurance company that I have my buildings and contents cover with and asked them if they could do anything as I would otherwise have to look around as I was having idiotch my pennies (it's got 6 months more to run)....... they knocked off £10 a month off the DD - that's what I call a result, and it was a free number to call in the first place!

Archived