Our 1st Motorhome

Tracey42

Hi we bought our 1st motorhome last month which is a 2001 Mclouis. We took it to Lincs Motorhome Show last weekend and had a great time. Everyone was so friendly, our puppy Scruffy loves the Motorhome. We have already done a weeks touring up the East Coast and then went over to the Lake District.

At the show we found was that not all ages were catered for in the music department. We are are only 40 years old and we found that there was no 80's music. We spoke to more 40 year olds who were saying the same thing. Do you think it possible now that their seem to be more younger people buying motorhomes that we could see some 80's possibly 90's music at these events. Just a suggestion.

Tracey, Before suggesting a change in the music, first you have to join one of the organising clubs, then work for several years to get on the commitee, then wait a few years longer to get on the sub committee that organises shows, then a few years later get on the event entertainment sub-sub committee, then when you've been on that a while you can get to suggest a band or two.

The trouble is by then you've heard that much soddin' Country & Western you'll have the check shirt, cowboy hat, LOVe Jim Reeves! Can't wait for Dolly Parton records and your days of boogie-ing to Tavares, Rose Royce or Pogo-ing to the Clash, Pistols, New Romanticism etc, (delete as required), will be a distant memory! :-D

As for anything fo dropping E's to the 90's, well, you are at least two centuries too early for any of that nonsense my girl! :-D

Oh I don't want to cause any hassle or join any committee's just thought MMM might want to try and encourage the younger generation to buy motorhomes and go to these sort of events. I don't think I will ever get a checker shirt or like Jim Reeves. I know 90% of Motorhome owners are over 60 but everyone loves a bit of ABBA and Queen.

Guest JudgeMental
Tracey42 - 2009-10-07 10:35 AM

I know 90% of Motorhome owners are over 60 but everyone loves a bit of ABBA and Queen.

Errr.......me think's we will stay with the C&W if thats the choice *-)

welcome to the forum by the way! :-D

You will find Abba lookalike groups at the MMM shows. I think the last one was called Voulez-vous but you know the tune. I think we also had that lad who was the split of Freddie Mercury and his group. Again a good Queen a like.

I still think I am just 42 so like most of what you say.

Country and Western in moderation is OK although line dancing is strictly out.

My preferance would be Acker Bilk and his Paramount Jaz band, Kenny Ball, Terry Lightfoot, Humphry Littleton, Chris Barber, Dutch Swing band, Dave Bruebeck etc. Then there is Don Lusher and his mob still doing the rounds (as is Acker my hero).

Whatever happened to Ketty Lester? Love Letters did it for me!.

Or that classic duo Sarah Vaughan and Billy Eckstine with Passing Strangers.

As I said I am only 42 (ish)

C.

Sorry but I don't know any of these I will have to ask my Mum and Dad about them.

Looks like I will have to learn line dancing (mother in law does it) so she can give me some lessons. I don't think hubby will talk to me again though.

Welcome Tracey!

Don't on any account buy a cowboy hat, since if you look better in it than Janine ("J9 with dogs") she'll never speak to you again.

We bought our first VW camper when we were about 35, and over the next 10 yrs had three vans, in which we took our kids around UK and beyond - France Andorra and Spain one year, Belgium, Holland, germany and Denmark (Legoland!) another. A few years off when they were a bit big for campervans but still with us, then when they opted for their own holidays we bought ourselves an old two-berth. (Son's reaction: "You've NOT gone and bought THAT! I've got ageing hippies for parents!)

So all ages can enjoy the campervan/motorhome experience!

My advice would be, don't worry about the big shows - even though we're the "right" age group, we've never really fancied the idea unless we're actually "shopping." We'd rather just buzz off into the wide blue yonder, and see what we find, and who we meet, when we get there.

But if you want to enjoy your van AND your favourite music, why not find out where the music is, then hassle them to let you (and others) camp there? If you keep us posted, we might all come and join you!

Enjoy your travels, wherever they take you!

Tony & Liz

(57 - but since 50 is the new 30, let's say 37!)

Thanks Tony. We oirginally bought the Motorhome to tow a Competition Motor as we compete in Motorsports but have now got the travelling bug. We have owned 2 caravans in the past but never liked the idea of lugging it around Europe, but the Motorhome seems a lot easier and it only being 20ft is a lot easier. We go walking and via ferrating in the Alps and Domomites so we are hoping to try to trip to Europe in the near future.

The show was good for us this time as we are trying to update the interior so we bought loads of new light fittings etc.

I think we may upgade to a Motorhome with a better bathroom in the near future. Our caravans had end bathrooms with separate shower cubicles which was bliss. But the LcLouis has a bathroom where everything gets wet and you end up steaming up the whole van.

Guest JudgeMental

Madam, perhaps you could help explain what "via ferrating" is? and why one would go to the Alps and Dolomites to practice this pursuit?

Via Ferrata (italian for 'iron road') is a mountain route using fixed cable and metal ladders. A lot of these routes were made in the First World War for troops in Austria and Italy to get round the Alps.

More routes are now made just for pleasure, but their is a museam in the Dolomites which shows all the routes which were made in World War One which you can climb around if any one is interested.

If your visit www.colletts.co.uk (sorry I dont know how to add it as a link), you can see some of the pictures of the various routes.

There is also a Via Ferrata in the Lake District at the Honister Slate Mine.

Have a go. It did my fear of heights the world of good.

Tracey42 - 2009-10-07 9:27 AM

At the show we found was that not all ages were catered for in the music department. We are are only 40 years old and we found that there was no 80's music. We spoke to more 40 year olds who were saying the same thing. Do you think it possible now that their seem to be more younger people buying motorhomes that we could see some 80's possibly 90's music at these events. Just a suggestion.

If there is to be any changes, can we please get rid of the 10kw of audio and the earsplittin bang bang bang on drums. It completely overloads my deaf aids! Bring back proper dance music (Ballroom type) and us oldies would appreciate being able to move round the floor getting our much needed exercise, although what we do with the zimmer frames is another question.

Tony

lennyhb - 2009-10-07 3:51 PM

Led Zep

Now you're talking proper music :-D , along with a Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and a fair few others of course.

Who would have imagined such conversations on a motorhome forum..... We'll be talking motorbikes and old rockers next :-D :-D

Clive - 2009-10-07 10:51 AM

You will find Abba lookalike groups at the MMM shows. I think the last one was called Voulez-vous but you know the tune. I think we also had that lad who was the split of Freddie Mercury and his group. Again a good Queen a like.

I still think I am just 42 so like most of what you say.

Country and Western in moderation is OK although line dancing is strictly out.

My preferance would be Acker Bilk and his Paramount Jaz band, Kenny Ball, Terry Lightfoot, Humphry Littleton, Chris Barber, Dutch Swing band, Dave Bruebeck etc. Then there is Don Lusher and his mob still doing the rounds (as is Acker my hero).

Whatever happened to Ketty Lester? Love Letters did it for me!.

Or that classic duo Sarah Vaughan and Billy Eckstine with Passing Strangers.

As I said I am only 42 (ish)

C.

Err......sorry Clive, but like the Judge said "I'll stick with the C&W if that's the choice. :D Acker Bilk indeed, you are a bit of a raver Clive. (lol)

Haha - a little claim to fame -

I played harmonicas in the the Jason Bonham band (Jason is the son of John Bonham, original Led Zep drummer) when they toured here in Spain 3 years ago.

Jason played drums in place of his Dad, when Led Zep did their one-off reunion concert in the O2 stadium in London a couple of years ago.

Utterly excellent drummer.

Utterly awful, I do mean awful, singer.

Our first motorhome was a self converted 3 litre Austin mobile canteen from the 'Green Goddess Fleet' was in the Bristol Firebrigade during the WW2. No syncromesh in the box so had to double-de-clutch, music wise wind-up 78s some bloke called Bing something, won't amount to any thing I don't supose.

A lap top full of tunes from Led Zep, Pink Floyd through to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Foo Fighters and lots in between. I do like Andy Williams and the other crooners for short periods and enjoy a sing along. I think it'll be very long time before Dave Gilmore plays at the Lincoln show but if he does I'll be there!! LOL. Don't really want to listen to C & W as my woman hasn't left me all alone with my dog and there's a crop in the fields etc etc :-D but each to their own and any live music is to be supported.

I suppose one must market for the majority and i can't really see zimmers going down the Highway to Hell although Stairway to heaven may be more appropriate B-)

Tracey42 - 2009-10-07 9:27 AM

Hi, we went to the show too, I seem to remember there was a questionaire (on the back of the free draw ticket I think) which asked what kind of music/entertainment you would like to see at future shows. Did you complete this? I'm sure the feedback would be used by the organisers.

aljen - 2009-10-07 3:53 PM

Hi Tracey42

Fraid im more of Mott the Hoople fan myself, quiet and soothing as always

A relation of Clive MG by any chance???? :-D

There was indeed a questionnaire asking for comments on what type of music you would ike to see at future shows. If you didn't fill this in why not just drop Warners and email with your suggestions.

Bring back Pinky and Perky singing 'White Horses'!!! :$

Although I am waaaaaaay too young to have experienced Glen Miller's band music first time round, that would be wonderful too - so long as it's not too ruddy loud .. not everyone is deaf! 8-)

Archived