creaking bed slats

alana

Hi Alana, welcome!

You've not gone and bought MelB's old van have you? That would explain any damage to the bed .... :D :D

Seriously though, if the slats are removable it might be worth turning them upside down. We did that on a slatted bed at home once, and it worked.

Otherwise, maybe a bit of furniture polish as lubricant, where the slats meet the frame.

Beyond that, there are bound to be more experts along soon!

Hi Alana,

The curved slats you refer to provide extra strength due to their "upward" curvature and you probably won't be able to turn them over.

As Tony has already suggested, furniture polish ( especially if wax based ) at the points where the slats rest on the supports, should solve your problem.

Guest Tracker

Are you positive that it is the slats and not the frame to which they are attached?

Bed bases and particularly slide out and lift up bases are not that well made generally and creaking beds are often as much to do with wonky hinges or frames and/or lift up/slide out mechanisms and/or support legs as the bed bases themselves?

Hi Alana and welcome to the mad house!

Tony Jones - 2009-10-07 4:59 PM

You've not gone and bought MelB's old van have you? That would explain any damage to the bed .... :D :D

Naughty boy - I'll get Janine to put you on the naughty step Tony! >:-)

I still have my van thank you very much and the slats are as sprung as ever - we haven't flattened them yet but keep giving it a good try! :D

Tracker - As it's a Rimor, the slats are likely to be those on the fixed bed, rather than on a pull out as I don't think they use this method for the dinette etc beds.

Alana - what 'van have you got - there's not many of us DREAMERS on here so we need to stick together.

:-D

• 3 weeks later...

Use white candle wax - just rub the candle on the ends of the slats.

The curve must be fitted upwards, because this is what gives the component its strength and flexibility. It will tend to straighten out when weight is put on to it.

There are variations in how slats are attached to bed-frames. My Hobby's bed has the end of each curved slat fitting into a 'sleeve' in an individual plastic moulding. The slat is pinned within the sleeve by a staple through the moulding's upper surface and the moulding itself is attached to the bed-frame's inner surface by a further two staples. I don't think any of the de-creaking ploys suggested so far would be practicable with the Hobby's bed as you can't easily reach the ends of the slats or remove them. Fortunately the Hobby's bed doesn't creak but, if it did, I think I'd try the furniture polish approach via an aerosol spray.

Archived