Shower waste pipe

Poppy Mole

The waste pipe from the shower tray in my Auto Sleepers Clubman appears to be blocked, it was working OK at The Dorset Steam Fair in Sept. but today I decided to drain it all down ready for winter - ran all the taps so that the waste tank was flushed out as well, but have ended up with a shower tray full of water.

How easy?difficult is it to unblock?

Guest Tracker

I regularly use a sink plunger to keep our van's waste pipes clean and it is amazing just how much gunge and crud can form in these pipes - especially the convoluted type - over a short period of time.

Unless the shower tray is on a raised plinth with the waste going off in a sideways direction, if you look under the van you should see where it exits the shower tray and inputs the waste tank from which it is easy enough - if a tad messy and wet - to remove and replace or clean it.

Be wary of using strong chemicals as they can damage the plastics.

Guest Tracker
AliB - 2009-10-08 1:39 PM

Try a wastepipe cleaner. Most DIY stores or plumbers sell them.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Pipe-And-Sink-Cleaner/invt/424919

I only had to put about 2 inches of the rod down the waste outlet and glug, away went the water.

If you use anything like this sure the water will probably drain away OK - but I doubt it will go in the tank because it is more than likely that that the hose will be punctured!

It's your choice but not what I would use?

We had a similar problem whereby both the Shower and Basin were very slow draining away. I removed the waste pipe from the outlet side of the basin trap (easiest to get to) and used a hose pipe to flush the system out into the tank. Shower and Basin now drain freely.

You may have to remove the pipe from the shower trap to clear yours, but it should be fairly easy to get to. Using a hose with a nozzle on will not damage the waste pipe, but should dislodge the offending blockage.

Tracker - 2009-10-08 5:02 PM

AliB - 2009-10-08 1:39 PM

Try a wastepipe cleaner. Most DIY stores or plumbers sell them.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Pipe-And-Sink-Cleaner/invt/424919

I only had to put about 2 inches of the rod down the waste outlet and glug, away went the water.

If you use anything like this sure the water will probably drain away OK - but I doubt it will go in the tank because it is more than likely that that the hose will be punctured!

It's your choice but not what I would use?

The one I have has a springy end to it with no sharp edges. It just gently nudges any unwanted stuff along the pipe. Even if trying to, I doubt I could puncture the pipe wall with it.

Many thanks to you all - opted to try the hose pipe first which sorted it nicely - even if I did get a face full of cold water (clean) in the process.

Whilst I was at it I decided to give the basin pipe a squirt as well just in case & discovered a bar of soap down the back.

Things can only improve.

Archived