Tyres

hymer1942

Hello,

My experience is limited to tyres fitted to 3.5T vans but I can honestly say that I am not impressed with the Avon tyre. It seems much more prone to deformation under load and we have had several go out of shape which means thay are breaking up inside. We have been using Hankook tyres for many years and have fitted several hundred with no issues at all. Their RA08 tyre is used by us on Iveco Daily, Fiat Ducato's and we use their truck tyres too. Can't comment on the Kleber but when I have been offered them they have seemed expensive.

I am surprised that you have not had a barrage of comments from the 'you must only use special camping tyres' fraternity, which will surely follow.

Nick

We also use Hankook. Good tyres and good price. Forget all that rubbish about "Camping" tyres. All they are is the same as commercial ones but with Camping stamped on them and a higher price in the process. Just make sure you get commercial ones fitted whatever make. Avon tyres are very good as far as grip goes but the compound is softer so don't last as long.

Hello and thanks for that info. At the moment the hymer is on Conti. Vanco and after reading the speck for both the Vanco and the Vanco Camping it is very hard to spot any difference if there is any apart from the price. So shall not be going down the camping road. Another thing that is baffling, I have been looking at EVENT TYRES online and the new Vanco 2 is about £5 cheaper than the old model, but there prices fitted at your door seem very competative. Regards Barrie.

Guest Tracker
Except that stiffer sidewalls man a harder ride and the previous model Boxer/Ducato - dunno about the newer ones - is hard enough already without making it any worse?

Guest Tracker
After 23000 miles I've just changed my wheels round which will give me a few more miles by evening out the wear before needing to buy four new 'uns when they all get to about 3 mm - but at least when they all wear out together you don't end up with out dated rubber on one axle and new on t'other - and it's only money!

This information regarding stiffer sidewall and compounds better suited to wet grass strikes me as complete nonsense, and that is being charitable. I have previously read on this forum that there is an anti UV treatment applied to camping tyres. Snake oil.

What would be the point of any further protection from UV rays when the tyre has a production date and should not be used when it is too old (whenever that is). None.

Others have told me that the camping tyres are to give a more comfortable ride which is completely at odds with the theory that the sidewalls could be stiffer.

Use some common sense and save some money. The better quality van tyres from Continental, Michelin, Goodyear and Pirelli with Hankook making a great value option very closely matching the premium brands for wear, grip and comfort will all serve you well. 8 or 10 ply tyres from these brands are as good as it gets for goods transport so they will be more than up to the job for campers. Yes, your camper may be loaded close to it's MAM more of the time but have you seen the kind of abuse the vans get?

Nick

Archived