Snow for christmas

cstan

Come on Chris - is this a wind up?

If anyone on here could predict whether it will snow somewhere in Scotland over the Christmas period and if it did, whether it would be deep enough for you to require snowchains, they would be very very rich.

Even the Meteorological Office can't accurately predict the weather longer than a few days - remember this years predicted "barbecue summer?"

I'd have thought the best chance of snow would be in the ski resort areas of Scotland. Aviemore etc.

In December, if it does snow it will probably be blowing a gale, freezing cold and thoroughly unpleasant.

If it is not snowing it will be raining.

AliB - 2009-10-09 1:17 PM

I'd have thought the best chance of snow would be in the ski resort areas of Scotland. Aviemore etc.

In December, if it does snow it will probably be blowing a gale, freezing cold and thoroughly unpleasant.

If it is not snowing it will be raining.

Arn`t you glad you asked!!!!!

Whilst there may be a chance of snow, its not usually that deep that chains are required. For the avoidance of any doubt, we have the odd snowplough here in scotland and gritters too. The most important thing to watch out for is severe frosts, last new year it was minus 9 deg and not a hope of keeping water in van overnight. I had to use the old watering can and filled that up to keep the kettle on, use site toilets and showers, even these had a few problems. Apart from those little technicalities we had a great time in all the cold fresh air. Snow is a bonus, frost is the enemy, beware!!!!!!

I live there so have local knowledge, i will try the raised finger soon, usually end of November

Thanks all, have just booked a site in Breamar, looks to be a good place to start. Up there christmas eve for 4 days hopefully will be able to find snow or not lol, its 1100 feet above sea level and has the lowest temp record at -27 (wow! at that temp i could have a pee and make my very own yellow snow) but not telling the wife about -27 as she started talking about her joints.

Any way thats where were going to start and i will let you know how we get on.

Thanks again

cstan

Brrrr. Its a great site, but as mentioned it can be very cold, better look out the bucket for the water, last time we were there all the caravans had frozen up, iv never seen so many hairdriers, abviously essential kit for winter touring. Great place for roaming tho, plenty hills to get the cheeks nice and ruddy, better bring a few bottles to keep out the cold, extra blankets. Maybe you will get lucky and global warming will rear its warm head

Hi all, thats what we want, very cold, freezing weather and SNOWWWW.

For to many years i have got up to rain or warm sunshine on christmas morning it never feels right, and now that the youngest is 19 its time to find our childhood.

Did none of you ever take the kettle to the outside toilet to unfreeze the bowl when you were kids or have an extra blanket on the bed in the winter, we had frost on the inside of our windows lol.

So for the 4 days that were there i hope that we can cope, if not my van will be on ebay the new year lol.

Please let me know if anyone has had there own experience and can offer any tips.

thanks again

cstan (chris)

Hi, we love being away in the winter and love it when temp drops -20 and there is snow. Although of course we like to ski so snow is an integral part of our plans. We are going a few days prior to you and will head up to the lecht , which has a much better snow record than aviemore.

However you can't predict it. As for snow chains? they are a must as far as I am concerned. we all ways carry ours and have had to use them to get out of a spot or two.

this site might help with getting a van ready for a full on winter.

http://www.motorhomeski.com/

Thanks Panagah, does Lecht get snow most years or is it "You pays your money and take the chance" as i don't mind traveling to find the white stuff.

And about the snow chains do you normaly use them at christmas or later in the season , my van is rear wheel drive do i put them on the front as well as they come in a sets of two.

thanks again

chris

We've not done Braemar in winter, but were then in May two years ago. We climbed a Corbett - (Morrone 2819 feet) and it was absolutely Baltic at the summit.

One problem with Braemar is that if there is any significant snow, the road, A93, which is quite steep and twisty in parts, gets closed though it is usually opened within a few hours.

Last October we were in Aviemore and it snowed, and they've already had their first fall of snow this season. The day we left for home we were racing an advancing blizzard down the A9.

A couple of advantages that Aviemore has over Braemar are - the A9, though it carries more traffic is an easier drive (in my opinion) and that if it doesn't snow enough there are more alternative forms of entertainment/recreation.

The problem with snow in Scotland is that it isn't reliable or predictable in the long or medium term.

Tips - If it is much below freezing don't use onboard storage for waste water - let it drain straight out into a container and empty that frequently. And if it gets really cold drain your main water tank and water heater and rely on a kettle.

As for chains I doubt if you would need them on main roads them as they work best on packed snow and are a pain to fit and remove. I reckon if conditions get that bad you'd probably be better parking up, putting on the kettle and having a snooze while waiting for the road to be cleared. However if you want peace of mind it might be worth packing a set for the driven wheels.

Archived