2005 Fiat 2.3Jtd - Oil Pressure Light

Colinsburgh

Hello All,

Back about three weeks from a trip to the Alps so the 'van has been working quite hard. About 100 miles from home, the oil pressure light began to flicker when idling at traffic lights, etc. Checked the oil levels, temp,etc and found all OK.

Took the 'van out for a trip this week. This time once the engine had warmed up the oil pressure light began to flicker when idling and by the time I returned home the oil pressure light had gone from flickering to on steady but still only at idling.

Local mechanic suggested an oil change - made no difference. (Then suggested, faulty pressure switch, faulty oil pump)

Otherwise the engine, just on 22000miles, is running normally, smooth, no abnormal noise, pulling well, not over heating, not using oil.

Before I start replacing parts that may not need replaced has anyone experienced this problem and determined the cause. Could it be another FIAT characteristic? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Peter

Guest Tracker

I've have not seen one of these in the flesh so to speak but maybe before buying a new sensor you might try taking it out of the engine if it is easy to access and cleaning and re fitting ensuring the electrical connections are clean and tight as that might possibly - but doubtful - make a difference and that is incredibly cost effective - but only if you can do it yourself!

Failing that, I would go with the least expensive option first and change the oil pressure sensor rather than get involved with expensive oily bits?

For the benefit of those readers who don't know what an oil pressure warning light does - generally if there is a major engine oil pressure fault by the time the pressure warning light comes on at anything above tick over some very expensive bearing damage is already well on the way to having been done - hope not in this case.

I hope it's the oil pressure sensor. It's more than likely that it is as, if the light has been coming on as you say it has, the engine would have most probably died already.

Relative had same issue on a Peugeot 20? recently. That was the sensor.

FD

As far as I'm aware its not a common issue so I'd do a few checks before spending lots of dosh. You need to connect a proper oil pressure gauge to the engine (it will connect to the position where the oil pressure switch is) and run the engine till hot then check what pressure you have. It should be in the 50-60 psi region at a fast tickover (20-30 minimum at normal tickover) if all's well. anything less and you have either a failing oil pump or worn bearings meaning an engine overhaul. If its the latter then prepare your bank balance, I've just rebuilt my son's focus 1.6 engine using new rings, big ends, water pump, (no need for oil pump as it was checked and well within tolerance) second hand pistons (bore wear was not measurable but pistons were damaged by broken valve heads) second hand head but reseated all 16 valves, oil, filter, air filter, new power steering pipe etc and its cost just over £400 in parts alone. The car's been off the road for a month too! If you have to pay someone else to do the dirty bits then you're not going to see much change out of £1500+.

D.

I don't know how the pump is driven on these engines, but if it's driven by the auxilliary belt then check it's tight enough.

Thanks All for the speedy responses.

From the manual it looks like the oil pressure switch is located just above the starter motor which has to be removed to get at the switch. Not so much a difficult job but a pain in the neck just to check the connection.

From the Fiat forum it would seem faulty pressure switches are not unknown. Since I'll have to take the starter out to get at the switch I might just order one up and replace it while I'm at it.

Thanks again,

Peter

I've never heard of a mass-production vehicle's oil-pump being driven by an auxiliary belt either, but it's not that uncommon for it to be driven by the cam-belt. In such cases, if the cam-belt is slack enough not to drive the oil-pump properly, low oil presssure is likely to be the least of one's worries!

Hello all,

we have run about 10 2002-2006 2.3's and never had an issue with oil pressure sensors until the X250 where we have had to change 3 already. It would seem prudent to change this first if when you examine the connections all seems well. It really is not likely to be anything else.

The item you need is 504310254 and in July the price was £15.36 from Fiat

Nick

davenewell@home - 2009-10-08 9:45 PM

I've never seen an oil pump driven by the auxiliary belt, 'cos if the aux belt failed or slipped the engine would suffer serious oil starvation. I do beleive engine designers these days are twopence short of a shilling but not that stupid!

D.

Steady on Dave I wasn't suggesting it was. >:-) Was I?

Sorry peter, not intending to cause offence but your comment seemed to suggest it: "I don't know how the pump is driven on these engines, but if it's driven by the auxilliary belt then check it's tight enough."

All I said was I'd never seen one driven by the aux belt, not getting at you personally :D .

D.

euroserv - 2009-10-09 3:50 PM

Hello all,

we have run about 10 2002-2006 2.3's and never had an issue with oil pressure sensors until the X250 where we have had to change 3 already. It would seem prudent to change this first if when you examine the connections all seems well. It really is not likely to be anything else.

The item you need is 504310254 and in July the price was £15.36 from Fiat

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for the info most useful.

The connections seem OK so next step is to change the sensor. The part number you supplied will save me a bit of time ordering the new sensor.

Thanks, Peter

Archived